Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake II

Options
  • 26-10-2023 2:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

(Search function is borked so sorry if there's already a thread - don't think there is!)

Out tomorrow and reviewing (mostly) well.

I wasn't a big fan of the original Alan Wake - a decent game, but ultimately pretty repetitive and one-note. But I think Remedy really finally started to fulfill some of the things they've been chasing for years with Control, so I'm very interested in AWII as it seems to push their aesthetic ambitions further again, including the likes of live-action footage integration.

Most importantly for now, it seems to perform well on consoles (a relief as Control was a bit of a disaster on that front) and push the boundaries of PC tech if you have the hardware. There had been some panic around the frankly restrictively high PC specs, but initial Digital Foundry analysis seems to suggest it actually scales better than the eyebrow-raising spec sheet suggests. Unfortunately an Epic Store exclusive for now, but I do believe Epic helped fund the game's production.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Another GOTY contender!

Cant wait.

Only downside is the lack of a physical release (and for me the backlog I'm gonna push through before buying it).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 at the gates

Looks the business. Hoping it gets a few performance patches to make it more solid on ps5. Will definitely get it if i see it on sale on the ps store. Digital only unfortunately, didn't get a physical release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very interested in trying it, loved control, are control and alan wake connected in some way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I’d always like a physical version for preservation reasons, at least Remedy has adjusted the price to reflect a digital only release - 50 quid is a lot more reasonable than the 60-70 quid norm these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

In the same universe so it was wake, then wake DLC (not spin off) , then control and control DLC with wake in it.

Still have my SE from the original that looks like a book and came with a book. Best looking special edition I have. Sits on a bookcase 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 at the gates

Think it's 60 on the ps store? Not 100% on that but yeah better than the usual digital prices these days. Spider man 2 digital is 80 fuckin quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh sorry, seems to be 50 on PC and 60 on consoles. Regardless, still a notch below the standard AAA game pricing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Is it going to be available on Steam eventually or is it perpetually an Epic exclusive on PC?

For example, Phoenix Point became available on Steam after 1 year of being Epic exclusive

In the past, a year has indeed been the typical stretch of Epic exclusivity for third-party titles.

But it seems this one was fully funded by Epic and it's published by Epic, so hard to know if they'll adopt the same approach here. Could be exclusive indefinitely, as has been the case with Alan Wake Remastered.

Played through the first chapter tonight. Very slow-burn, only one combat encounter (at the end - basically a tutorial) in two hours, and lots of exploration. But promising so far. Remedy has definitely grown in confidence with their presentation - lots of fantastic flourishes, and few studios use abrupt block capitals and live action footage quite so well :) Quite the opening as well - not every day the first playable character in a game...

is bollock naked.

Playing on an RTX 3070 and the presentation is really impressive - proper next-gen tech. 60+ is definitely easily achievable with rasterised performance and DLSS. Looks great. But ray-tracing really improves the stability and depth of the image, especially in terms of shadows, reflections etc... The specs were right - low preset will get around 30 FPS in the forest areas, but I found I can go high with path-tracing in the Night Springs hub and still get a 40-60 FPS. It's the tree-heavy areas that really cause a big performance hit. I'd recommend pushing the ray-tracing in the Night Springs areas, even just to look around, as it really looks quite spectacular. It might be a rare game where the quality of the ray-tracing is worth the performance hit (obviously a lot more tolerable if you have a 40xx card and frame generation) but will see how I get on when the combat kicks off.

Thankfully the art direction, asset quality and cinematography mean it will look great regardless. Those path-traced reflections though... woah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Few hours in & I thinks it's absolutely incredible . 10/10 so far . Atmosphere is class . Have to say iv been hardened towards horror games by playing evil within 1 & 2 and about 5 or 6 resi evils the last couple years & me not really being afraid but this game has me on edge a lot and terrified on and off .

Should I play Alan Wake 1 first? The remaster is only €9 until Monday.

I've played and completed Control, not that I can remember anything about the plot line!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Wake one is a great game in its own right. Story is very good though combat does become repetitive.

A bit further in and it's definitely picking up pace, although still very different to the original game - a lot more exploration than the combat-heavy original, at least so far.

When it gets into a groove, it's a massive step up from the original. The way they **** with reality and geography during the spookier sections is by far the best I've seen in a horror game - it all happens so fluidly, whether it's the unsettling smash cuts, the way the levels and lighting quietly (or not so quietly) morph around you, or the unpredictable movement of the enemies (some of whom have some very abrupt teleporting tricks up their sleeves).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apart from looking amazing, this is a really well made story driven game.

The only thing I'm disappointed with is:

that at the start I thought this was going to be a really good detective game, but actually you don't have to solve anything. The case board is just a recap of the game so far, presumably for those who leave the game for a while and come back.

Yep it's quite hand holding in that respect but narrative and world creation is second to none really. MS should have kept onto remedy as exclusive really, the universe they have created between wake, control and quantum break is excellent the games are standard enough narrative wise but play like most third person narrative games.

Really enjoying the transitions with the lamp, similar enough to what blooper did in medium but impressed by the speed of it all

(Sam Lake really has SOME ego as well between playing Max Payne and in this the chap really loves himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The case board stuff is pretty weird. I don't love it, but some of it is optional. There's a lot of other cases in there that exist as a sort of additional commentary on plot developments.

I beat this just now, it's the most maximalist bit of video gaming in a while. They really put every thing they could think to put in a game in it. I know they love doing multimedia type stuff at Remedy but this might be the most intertextual sort of game I've ever played. Written word, films, TV, the written word all integrated into the non-linear hyperlinked structure of a multithreaded video game narrative where you bounce between two different realities progressing storylines at your own pace. Deciding when you want to change the flavor of the game as you go.

AWI was compared to Twin Peaks a lot, I dunno I never played it (I tried a bit and it was fairly shite). This is definitely closer to the style of Twin Peak's third season. Some will (justifiably) call it very self indulgent and bloated (which it is). But if you're on board with the things it's doing it's going to be one of those types of game you'll be lucky if we actually ever see again.

So if multi-layer realities and fractured identities are your type of thing you need to play this

My interested is starting to wane. I don't think I'm that far into the game and already the Dark Place is starting to grate on my nerves. I haven't gotten over my initial disappointment that you're not actually solving a murder mystery and I just haven't been grabbed by the dark mystery surrounding the Dark Place. It feels like its trying too hard to be too mysterious and reminds me of the Lost TV series where it becomes apparent there is actually nothing behind the mystery. I feel I've really lost trust and am not going to be rewarded in any way , either by interesting revelations in the story or by any rewarding gameplay.

There is lots to like about the game. It does scary moments very well, i mean it doesn't get any scarier than wandering around the dark with a tourch and the fantastic graphics really add to the realism. I love the snippets of real acting, the way it integrates so well with the game is a big evolution from Quantum Break. But gameplay is sparse and light and the world feels very empty, with many NPC's being nothing more than maequinns when you approach them (attempts to claim this is part of the story do not help to make it anymore enjoyable).

In the end, after initially misleading me into thinking this was going to be a fantastic rainy noir murder mystery the story has just failed to grab my attention.

Some weird mysterious dark power where fiction becomes reality? Ok not a.bad idea. But come on, this is no Never-ending Story level of story telling. Come on Alan, write up some interesting characters I can interact with!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm loving the game, I think it's a work of art and contender for GOTY for me, I just started Alan's first chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3/5 from Eurogamer, same as metro game central. They'd a lot of positive to say about it but sounds like theres definitely some flaws there.

I’m around five hours in. TBH the game isn’t ‘perfect’ - what is? - but it’s infinitely more interesting stylistically and presentationally that virtually any AAA or AA game made in the last decade. I don’t say that lightly, but anyone remotely interested in video games as a visual medium should be playing this. It’s an exceedingly rare example of modern tech (from fast loading to pathtracing) being used to fulfill a studio’s most ambitious storytelling and tonal goals, rather than just ‘ooh isn’t that pretty’ (although, to be clear, the global illumination and reflections are exceptionally pretty).

Obviously it has its limitations and issues, from some overwrought writing to gameplay limitations (although thankfully it’s a lot more interesting than the original, even if the so-so investigation stuff won’t be troubling Obra Dinn’s deduction crown any time soon). Like most things Lynchian, it can’t hope to reach the heights of the man himself operating at his best. But I’m pretty engrossed in it, and I’m finding it a rich and engaging culmination of everything Remedy has been trying to do for decades. I think, finally, they have to tech and skills to pull it all off.

I agree, it is most definitely a very polished presentation of the developers artistic vision and I am really enjoying having my PC's abilities pushed to the max (or to the "medium" as that's the setting I'm settled on). I'm on a 6800XT so alas no RT for me, it absolutely kills the fps. But even without RT it is a visual masterpiece and it really contributes to the games atmosphere. What Remedy have done with the medium really is fantastic and sets a new bar in video games, from a graphical and artistic expression point of view.

Scandinavian cheesiness and weirdness and dark mystery is well and good and you compare it to something from David Lynch, I can see that comparison. But I'm not sure I'd even enjoy playing a David Lynch video game. If this is a story driven game, which I think this is (albeit quite an artistic themed story) then it needs a stronger story. For example I think they could have conjured up some interesting characters to interact with instead of picking up manuscripts.

I am 8 hours in and having said all that I do feel the urge to finish the game. So there is something there to drive me on. But I think it is down to the fantastic graphics and artistic expression rather than having any urge or interest in how the story is going to unfold or anything to do with enjoyable gameplay mechanics.

I don't need this to be my GOTY to acknowledge that it is a point in video game history. It's refreshing that it has taken the discussion back to video games as an art and medium and not being dominated by optimization issues. I know some tried when the recommended specs came out but the game really shut the door on that topic as soon as it was released.

A truly 'Lynchian' video game is an impossible construction anyway as you can't really implement the free-flowing dream-like logic out of something as rigid as a computer program. It's inevitably going to be something more diluted and straight forward.

The closest you will ever see to any of that stuff is the FMV dabbling Remedy gets into. They get a lot better at it in AWII, hope it's something they keep doing

Completed this today. I think the story redeemed itself the more it progressed and in the end it turned out to be a very enjoyable game, on top of the magnificent craftmanship.

Played through some of the middle chapters of Alan's section tonight and wow the game really goes places with its live-action footage integration. Delightfully playful stuff, sometimes pure spectacle and sometimes outright disorientating in the perspective trickery.

Jason Schreier notes on this week's Triple Click that Lance Reddick was meant to play Mr Door before he passed away. Would've loved to see him perform some of that stuff, although David Harewood does a great job.

Love the environment-changing mechanics too - always a sense of dread when changing a room to a more sinister plot device.

Had a few glitches as well tonight, though - fell through the floor at the same spot in the hotel a couple of times. Can easily see why an SSD is mandatory, but even then it feels like it's working overdrive here and there to keep things flowing.

Lance Reddick was meant to play Mr Door

I was wondering that but then I felt that was a bit racist to assume 😅

That ties it to Quantum Break in some way. Although I do not remember anything about the plot in that game.

Was reading that there's quite a few links to QB in the game, tho I've not played that game to know for sure. Makes you think tho that they might be intending to make it part of the overall continuity but can't right now due to not having its rights.

Big question going forward will be how do they keep these games integrated into an overall continuity without turning it into an MCU type of situation where it becomes offputting and everything feels like homework. Control 2 should try and setup a new angle that's fairly distant from the AW stuff imo

I'm not going to read too much into the connected universe. The.connections are quite vague, at most insignificant. I do think there is an overall grand story that will eventually come to a conclusion. But AW2 does not hide the fact that it takes homage from all the horror genres (book, film and game) that came before. As part of that, the intentional vagueness takes inspiration from the likes of Twin Peaks and (unfortunately) Lost, where it is mystery and weirdness for the sake of mystery and weirdness and nothing else.

Ending spoiler warning:

But there is a glimmer of hope. I do like how AW2 ended with the loop being a spiral and his wife saying he is making progress, suggesting to me that the story will become less dark. If my interpretation is right, I think this is a very unique way to progress the story with Alan escaping by travelling up the spiral, progressing away.from the darkness.

It would offer something original to the video games. The last thing we need is more mysteriously dark and vague sequels.

But I will wait for people to point out the errors in my interpretation 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Unless I'm missing something it seems buggy as hell.

Basically I died and trying to get back to where I was I end up trying to solve this "Light Puzzle" in chapter 2 that I'd already done but seems not to be possible second time around.

Only option seems to be to go back to a previous save point but my last manual save is hours back.

Advertisement