Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Cleaning Business idea

Options
  • 26-10-2023 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I am considering starting a business doing Window cleaning, Gutter Cleaning and Power Washing.

I’m based in Celbridge, so there is a lot of houses and commercial building’s around the area. My plan is to start off with just windows and gutters (and Fascia/Soffits), so I can dip my toes into the market while still working my 9-5 office job.

I have ran my own business before, so am under no illusion as to how hard I will have to work to make this a success. My main aim in this would be to earn more than what I’m currently on from my 9-5 (very basic wage) and to have the flexibility of being my own boss again. I also feel there is room to grow further in this industry, offering carpet cleaning, chimney cleaning, bin cleaning etc so that you can earn more down the line.

What I want to know from people in this industry is if it is too saturated, the pros of this line of work, and the cons that I’m potentially not looking at. And main question, is there a decent wage to be got from this work?

From a customer side of things, I want to know how often if ever you would use one of these services, what traits you look for in the companies you buy these services off, and would you always use the same company if they offered you a discount on repeat business?

Thanks for reading my message, and I’m happy to have a conversation with anyone who can give me their feedback 👍🏼

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bluespecs

From the customer side of things, I'd prefer there to be a website and for lots of information on the people doing the work : surname, experience etc. Garda vetting would be great (I don't want criminals around my home). Insurance details. Information on equipment and machinery so that I'm confident the best equipment is being used. Information on strategies and methods being deployed so I'm confident that the best methods are being used. I want to see compliance with recommended safety precautions, so that I feel assured I'm dealing with a professional. I don't want to see anyone scampering around my roof without a helmet etc. I don't want to hear about people powerhosing my roof slates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Deeec

Are you planning on carrying out the work yourself? Working 9-5 every day in another job gives you very little time to do this. I would see that as a big problem in developing this business. I wouldn't be interested in hiring you to clean my windows and you arrive at 6pm on a dark November evening to do the job! Could you cut your current job down to say 3 days a week to have time to develop the business.

Advertisement