Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Microchip

Options
  • 26-10-2023 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi All,

I rescued a dog the other day...long story short a person from work knew a friend of a friend who needed to rehome their dog. The dog arrived the next day with some papers, a lead and a harness.

I am unsure of how to change the address on the microchip, I don't really want to have to contact the previous owners. Is there a way I can do this without contacting them?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it’s with Animark they contact the other owner rather than you having to do it… I think a vet can update it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eprndrgst

Thanks, the vet can’t help me. I will contact the companies directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

long story short a person from work knew a friend of a friend who needed to rehome their dog. The dog arrived the next day with some papers, a lead and a harness.

What a story.

Sorry for not being too helpful.

The original owner should relinquish ownership first and give you the details for the new ownership claim?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is the chip definitely registered to the ex-owner? You've probably confirmed this already, but there's a chance the chip is still registered to the breeder (if applicable), and might not even be registered to anyone at all!

If there is another name registered against the chip, do you know what company the chip is with? Most likely Animark or Fido. In either case, send them an email to explain the situation. They both can and do contact the last registered owner to confirm they no longer claim ownership. It happens with rescue dogs all the time.

Advertisement