Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension lead and gang plug

• 26-10-2023 5:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Bit of context - recently moved into an old house and one of the issues we're facing is a severe lack of sockets in each room.

We're planning on getting that sorted early next year as part of a wider renovation, but for the time being I need to find a way to make do with what's there. In one case that means trying to get power to my PC monitors and laptop etc., which are located on the opposite side of the room's only socket.

Rather than have a gang plug across the middle of the floor for months, I'd like to run a long extension lead around the skirting board... but I reckon I'll need to go with a 10m cable to make that happen.

Options for a gang plug with a 10m cable are fairly limited - so I'm wondering if it would be safe to run a long, single-plug extension to where I need it, and then connect a regular gang plug at the end of that. I know piggy-backing adaptors is generally bad news, but is that only if you're, say, plugging a 4 socket extension lead into another 4 socket extension lead? Or is it a bad idea no matter what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Look, you can do it, but you need to be sensible about it (which I'm sure you are). As you have an older house this can only be a temporary solution and should be unplugged when not in use.

Don't daisy-chain extension leads, you're multiplying the fault-factor by doing that. You could loop extension leads around yes, but depending on your skills and confidence your other option may be to buy a short extension lead and then refit it with a longer cable to match the rating on the extension. You'll find this stamped on the socket in watts (divide by 230 to convert to amps) and then if you look at the cable you should see the copper area in square mm printer or stamped into it. Then match this to Table 1 in this link below:

1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2 are the most common two cable conductor diameters. 1.5mm2 will be fine for a standard PC and ancillaries over 10m, but anything beyond around 5 or so amps should be wired with a 2.5mm2 cable and the extension socket must match that rating. The fuse within the plug in that instance should also be a 13A fuse.

It's an option - it may not suit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you're only connecting electronics like PCs, laptops, chargers, low wattage stuff it's extremely unlikely you'll overload anything.

Also, Irish plugs are fused, so the overload issues are limited to 13amps. The problem is that some extension leads have flexes that should really be fused at 10amps or less, but are often fused at 13amps instead.

Connecting serious appliances and particularly heating appliances to extension leads is just not advisable at all.

If you want to be very sure of no issues, fit 3amp fuses to the extension lead plugs and that'll limit you to about 650-700 watts max. A gaming PC at full tilt is typically <500W

It's better to keep runs of flex for longer term use short - so ideally just get more sockets installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

If your old house is a bungalow the safest & neatest way to add a socket is : Isolate power to all sockets or to be doubly safe all power. Climb into attic, locate cable to existing socket, cut cable where there is a little slack. Tee off this with a 2.5 T & E cable using a junction box. Run this new cable across attic and drop down thru ceiling to where your desk is located. Use a suitably sized self adhesive PVC cable trunking for this. Fit a good quality twin socket with USB. This will serve it's purpose until you get around to planned upgrading etc. and the total material will cost no more than the price of a good quality extension lead.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not sure about fitting 3amp fuses , wouldn't be a standard practice

Agree, no heaters

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks - I reckon I'd be able to manage refitting a longer cable onto a shorter extension lead... thanks for the advice in terms of ratings etc.

Yes, I'm already using one of those for an appliance in another room!

I was hoping to have something with 5-6 sockets but can make do with 4 if I need to.

In terms of just adding a socket I'm conscious of the cost involved for the sake of just a few points... but more than anything I think I'd be waiting an age to get a sparks in for such a small job.

Thanks for that.

Yes, it would be electronics and not any heavy-duty appliances.

Specifically, 2 monitors, a PC and a dock for a laptop... would like to have a spare plug there for the odd time I need to use the printer or a charger etc but can manage without that if I have to.

It's not a bungalow - the room in question is upstairs in a semi-d.

I haven't had a chance to properly investigate what wiring is coming from the attic, but my suspicion is the wiring for the sockets isn't fed through there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement