Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Services Card Application / JSA

• 26-10-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've recently left my job but don't have a PS card yet. I need to apply which will probably take a couple of weeks and then apply for JSA. Can the JSA payment be backdated if it takes a few weeks to get my PS card?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Left of your own volition or left due to termination/redundancy?

If you left of your own volition you cannot claim for 9 weeks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So first things first.

You've mentioned you've left your Job, this could result in a 9 week penalty depending on the reasons.

Regardless....

Apply for JSA/JSB immediately at your nearest Intero centre. At that stage they'll arrange an appointment to get your 1st PSC. You'll need ID and proof of address.

Your Claim will be processed and you'll have the PSC before it's awarded, you'll need this for collection of payment at your local post office.

If awarded Jobseekers Payment it's backdated from date of application, this is why you must apply immediately, processing of your PSC won't affect this

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭FrankN1

The local intreo said I need to go get a PS card first (walk in appointments) and then apply online for JSA. So will this mean that I need to get this card first before I can apply? Meaning if the card takes 3 weeks, I will miss out on 3 weeks of payment..

That's nonsense, there is no reason why an application for Jobseekers can't be done at an Intero centre.

I'd be calling the Department in the morning to clarify this, I can't believe you were told this. The PSC is essentially needed to collect your payment and other services.

Back dating will only occur from the date of your Jobseekers Payment, the PSC Card application is a seperate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You need to get started on both applying for jobseekers and simultaneously applying for your PSC. If you are awarded Jobseekers and you haven’t got a card then your local office will give you a temporary card to collect it in the post office.

If you’ve left your job without good reason you’re going to be disqualified for up to 9 weeks anyway.

• Advertisement

The problem is, OP is saying their local Intero is refusing to process the claim at the centre & directing them online. This can't be correct.

OP Could technically get the Application form for Jobseekers and post it in 🤔

No getting around the PSC which can be applied for seperately

Intreo has no right to refuse to process his JSA application in person.

That's exactly what I thought, OP Needs to contact the Dept ASAP.

I had a customer recently who told me that she went to the SW office to enquire about her possible entitlement to WFP and she was politely informed that the INTREO office are “legally prevented” from giving her that info and she should ring Citizens Information.

I had another customer who was given an Illness Benefit form ( shouldn’t have given him that in the first place, it’s for the GPs office to hand them out) and the form was dated 2011…..

Astonishing, you may recall when I was finishing a CE scheme, moving to DA which was approved, the Kerfuffle with allowances that dropped off & being told to use a Form that actually doesn't exist.

There's no doubting DSP desperate to push people on line, but any new claim can be complex and not everyone is computer literate.

Just as an aside, I was speaking to Citizens info today, they are swamped with the most basic of requests involving DSP, they helped with my recent Kerfuffle but I had another Query and they require an advocacy form signed for each query on a person's behalf, Bonkers stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They are pushing people to online application but the op should insist on a paper form in the office. Takes up to 8 weeks to process JB/ja. Supplementary welfare can be applied for to fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Thanks all. I assume if I request a paper application, that if it takes 8 weeks to process it, I should be able to receive 8 weeks worth of this payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It will depend on if you left your job and why.

Your options are as follows without a PSC

A. Insist on your application being Done in the Intero Centre

B. Request the Application form and apply by post but I'd register the Envelope and insure you supply all supporting Documentation, ID, POA & bank statements.

Seperately Make an appointment to get your PSC, first time applications have to be done in an Intero centre, where your photo is taken.

Your Claim will be backdated from the date application is recieved assuming your not subject to the 9 week penalty for leaving your employment.

To better explain the 9 week penalty rule see link below. look under disqualification.

But regardless, Apply immediately and it's better to apply for JSA (means Tested) or JSB (not means tested & if you've enough contributions) directly in the Intero Centre.

Advertisement