Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI credit card but unable to use online

• 27-10-2023 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

I have recently signed up for BOI credit card and received the card last week. i can't use the card online as the transaction needs to be authenticated through 365 app. user id is required to set up the app but they never send one. i have contacted customer service 3 times in last 5 days but every time i have been told i will get a call back which never happened.

Anyone know how to get the user id if you are not a current account customer?

feel like a stupid as i am paying monthly charges but can't use the card online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did they send you a PIN in a separate letter? Their security systems assume that a certain number of cards will be fraudently intercepted in the post so, before you can use the card to make an online purchase, you need to use it in a retail (point of sale) machine to make a purchase or in an ATM to check the balance. Either of those activites require the PIN and will unlock the card so that it can be used to make an online purchase.

Even if you had a 365online userid, I'm 99% certain that you cannot simply logon and enable a new card, it has to be first used in a machine with the PIN.

All of that should have been outlined in the letter that came with the card. Sometimes there is a lot of detail on the back of the page - maybe you missed it.

What are those 'monthly charges' you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

The card is activated and can use at shops but unable do online shopping, book hotel or flights as those transactions needs to be authenticated through 365 app. i don't have a current account with BOI so basically they need to provide me a user id and pin to set up the 365 app to complete online credit card transactions. they never send me the user id and app pin though they send me the card and atm PIN . when i contacted the customer service they told me know i don't have profile on their system as i don't hold a current account with BOI. some one will ring me back to sort this out. same answer since last 5 days.

This is an aerlingus branded credit card which has a monthly €6.50 charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Try calling 0818 365 121, ask for support for credit card online. I have never needed to wait for BOI to call me back. Maybe on hold for a few mins but never too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

I am after ringing twice today including the credit card support. They all have the same answer 'no profile on system as i don't any other account with BOI' so they can't generate user id. i don't understand why they don't have profile even though they issued me a credit card and it has been used in shop multiple times.

That requirement must be peculiar to the Aer Lingus card. I have had BoI credit cards for several years now, I upgraded to the Platinum Card, then downgraded to the ordinary Mastercard. In all that time, any time they sent me a new card, I only had to use it once in an ATM or POS machine with the PIN to activate it, for retail or online. I never had to do anything on 365online.

• Advertisement

• If I buy online using any of my BoI cards or CC I need to approve via the app most of the time.

OK, fair point. And, reading the OP's first post again, I notice that it is the 'transaction' (as opposed to the card itself) that needs to be authenticated. I rarely get this challenge, probably because I've used the active card for my account for so many years and in so many different countries. But I can see that someone with a new account could expect to get that challenge on their first online transaction. And needs a 365online userid to use the app to receive and respond to the challenge.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement