Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E Bike Help for an Old one

Options
  • 28-10-2023 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭

My neighbour is elderly & uses a bike every day to travel to his cattle - less than a mile round trip. He is frail & can't fully bend one leg so he rides the bike by moving the peddles half a turn forward & back. He lives up a steep hill so has to walk for a lot of it.

The obvious answer could be an e bike but would this work with his one legged pedaling ? Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Yes. Once the motion is begun to activate the sensor (on rotation) very little effort is required. One legged pedaling should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I really don't know if it would work. I have an decent ebike and when I'm going up a hill there's still work to be done! It's much, much less work than without the motor but an ebike definitely isn't a motorbike with optional pedalling.

Maybe a scooter (not one of the ones that's like a skateboard with a handle) would be a more practical solution. Something like this...https://megabikes.ie/motorcycles-for-sale-ireland/new-scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

There are e bikes on the market, that are equipped with a twist throttle, so no pedaling required.

With recent legislation, these may be classified as mopeds and the regulations enforced by law at some point in the future.

for now, while its all still in limbo, it may be something for the OP to investigate further as an ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes I was thinking about those. Are they available at a reasonable price? He doesn't need much range

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

You'll probably be looking at around 1500 or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement