Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Diesel

Options
  • 28-10-2023 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭

Local filling station near me just got a facelift and they've put the MGO pump in with the other pumps on the main forecourt. Was sitting there having a coffee the other day and I see jeeps, cars, vans etc in a constant stream filling up. Do people not give a sh*t anymore if they are stopped? Or have they just stopped dipping altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yeah often saw it myself...society just doesn't care imo. Its like the white stuff..it's all grand but don't get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,099 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They care about getting caught because the fine is usually €2,500 for a first offence.

They are just playing the odds and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Back in the day I ran either agri or kero in old diesels to save money. My reckoning (and subsequent calculations proved this) was that it would pay off even if I had to pay one instance of the fine. I did 40-50k miles a year in those days. Went through a few hundred litres a month, each litre saving 50c or more.

I'd fill up 300-400L into drums and brim the car tank directly from the green pump on payday. There were a couple of stations near my old house known for selling washed diesel, so they had cheap agri for sale and were not likely to dox me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Don't the regulations state that if you are buying marked gas oil that the seller has to take your details. So my guess is the pump won't dispense unless you provide those details first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Never been asked when getting a few drums for the tractor, in the past.

That's not a thing down the country for sure.

Especially in stations where they have been done for selling washed diesel in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Never been asked here. In fact one place is totally automatic, card only.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Washed diesel f--ks up your engine. They use acid to knock out the dye. Problem is the same acid will eat through your pistons in no time. Happened to me, I used to travel through Limerick city and used a garage with the Cheapest fuel in the City for a few months. Fried the engine on the Van, I never knew at the time but it came out after when the Garage was caught. Turned out to be RA run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter worked in local shop. You have to sign for green anyway. Reg of vehicle your name and phone number. Cctv also on the pumps. Revenue call every so often. So while the op's case is a new business Revenue will call to the business soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

My accountant tells me that getting caught with green diesel in a jeep or that almost guarantees that you will end up with a tax audit within 12 months. He also said revenue have a fair idea how much green diesel the average farmer should use. If claim to be using more, you are either contracting & not declaring it or running a car / jeep on green so again you are putting yourself in line for an audit...

If I am buying green ( ie. filling drums) for a legitimate purpose I would have no issue with signing anything asked of me.

Having said that I've never been asked to do so.

You'd need to be an awful fool to give your details or sign anything if filling a car, jeep or truck with green.

It's a requirement of the customs, a good few would sign made up names. But your reg is written down and customs can go through the cctv at anytime. You can't buy green in this shop without signing for it.

I'm not talking about washed diesel I'm talking about green. Safest fuel for the car as you know what you're getting.

Agreed. Ive bought thousands of liters in multiple spots and never had to sign anything. I know in the old main place I used to go, there was no camera pointing at the back green pump. As if I'd give my actual name buying 200l-400l per month of agri and kero.

Never once had to sign, never gave reg, no CCTV pointing at the green pumps.

I don't doubt you but I bet nobody is directly filling green into cars, vans,jeeps or trucks at that garage.

Which is right and proper by the way.

You are right, washed diesel is bad news.

But this thread is about people cutting out the middle man so to speak and just filling up with green from the pump.

Not sure if it's widespread.

They are filling direct, they risk getting caught. Cars, jeeps and tractors fill out of it. Then you've lads filling drums. An odd time customs will set up up the road from the shop. If you're not signjng for it, it'll only be a matter of time before it will have to be done. A woman filled her car with green at the pump. Was stopped a few hundred yards up the road and dipped. ...

Well if they are stupid enough to use that garage to fill up in they deserve to get caught.

Not that I'm condoning breaking the law by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Takeing a gamble just. Plenty of activity most of the year with dipping, but plenty of WhatsApp groups showing check points, so easy to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Wasn't the domestic boilers run off diesel before Kero came along

Would have been easy enough to divert to the car

Do they still sell diesel for home heating

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Red diesel - as used in UK - will remain detectable, due to the residue, for three to four tankfuls of normal diesel after. Is that the same for green diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No and if tank is almost totally empty it doesn't apply to red either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You can run central heating on 85% diesel, 15% kerosene. Needs a different nozzle and adjustment.

A loop hole for folks is to order a fill of Green diesel then go into the revenue and pay the excise on the diesel. They may not want to allow you to do it but they can't stop you so you can demand to pay it. Then you are 100% legit to put the green diesel into your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Pay what excise, the increased rate for road diesel. I can't see that working. Even if you had an old car with no engine or wheels that didn't move for 20 years but green in the tank you could be fined

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Back in the early 1990's I borrowed a small minibus from a neighbour for a week to take the family to Mayo/Galway. I went to a filling station just north of the border and asked the young lad to fill it up while I went into the shop for treats for the kids. When I went to pay he told me it was a fiver. He had filled it with green diesel. I travelled around the west of Ireland for nearly a week before I had to put diesel in it again. Great value for 5 quid.

Fined for what? You are only breaking the law if you are using diesel for which the correct excise duty has not been paid for, not the color of the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

You get fined for having green diesel in a vehicle that's not allowed to use it. It makes no difference if your on a public road or the middle of your farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

So I have an old 4x4 that never leaves the farm and runs on green diesel. Am I breaking the law now?

Advertisement