Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources for research

Options
  • 28-10-2023 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for an opportunity to buy a house. I’m at “just browsing on daft” stage. Im new to Dublin and try to get some idea regarding neighborhoods. Like household income, education level, crime rates etc.

in the us, I was using Census which provides very detailed information that you can combine to have an idea of a neighborhood.

this is my first discussion post, sorry for any format mistakes!

best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Your best bet is to search Google or even boards itself to see if there are any discussions of anti-social behaviour. Most native Dubliners just know areas that are considered to be, as my mom would say, "bogey".

Beyond that, if you can visit any areas that interest you, do so. Look out for things like large green areas that are not well kept as these are often magnets for yahoos. It's actually a good time of year to do this because if you discover the remains of large bonfires, it's not a good sign.

One thing that I will say is that some areas with a bad reputation are actually fine. For example, Balleyfermot is often considered to dodgy, but I've worked close by for over ten years, and I have never once had any problems.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭dr.dundrum

Well I never like to see a thread languish unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

That is an exceptionally good reason to post 😉

Which shop/retailer/coffee would be considered as high-end stores? Like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s in the United Stares?

• Advertisement

If you're very posh, you shop at SUperValu. Tesco for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Avoca, Donnybrook fair.

dublin is small

most places along the coast from northside to Southside are affluent, as are places between the N11 and coast and 1km on the other side

there’s obviously exceptions to the above

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Within Dublin County, the the further south and the further east you go, generally the more expensive, better educated. Coastal areas are at a premium. At the top end of the scale, there is a lot of snobbery. That said, there are a lot of areas and a lot of properties that beat this simplification.

Assuming you are a legit doctor and not a drug dealer, if you get murdered it will be most likely be by your partner, family or friends. Street violence tends to be associated with alcohol on weekend nights. General crime is more common in the city centre than elsewhere. Traffic crime is everywhere.

Traffic in Dublin can be awful, so it makes sense to live somewhere where you can easily get to work and obtain services.

I would suggest that you live somewhere for a while before you buy there.

Marks and Spencer, Donnybrook Fair, Fresh and a few others would be considered posh. Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Eurospar and SuperValu would be mid-range. Lidl and Aldi are cheap and simple, but you can find some good products at good prices. However, all of them adjust to suit the market, e.g. Tesco in the Merrion Centre is an awful lot nicer than the one you would find in most places. Centra, Spar, Costcutter, Gala, Londis, Mace, XL, etc. tend to be convenience-orientated and will be more expensive and generally have a smaller choice / range.

There are hundreds of coffee shops, many not parts of chains, although supplying branded coffee. I think it will be down to personal taste. Lots of convenience stores will have a coffee machine and a deli counter.

While browsing the maps for Dublin, I came up to this deprivation map. It also shows the affluent areas. Can anybody confirm this if this is a good match for their current areas?

https://data.pobal.ie/portal/apps/experiencebuilder/experience/?data_id=dataSource_1-18b85a45500-layer-28-Pobal_Deprivation_Small_Area_Constituency%3A922&id=3b0acba7eb694ffa85340a60f81d516c

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You seem to have picked the 2022 map, so that information seems to be current.

However, using it as a sole determinant as to whether somewhere is desirable or not would be problematic. For example, an area might have a nursing home or sheltered housing for older people, where most people have very modest incomes. This does not mean the area is "rough". Correspondingly, parts of Dalkey has very nice houses with sea views that are mapped as "Marginally Above Average", possibly because it has an older age profile. In other places, there are differences that aren't obvious or the zones are quite large.

It would be useful to check exactly how the index is calculated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement