Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain my system to me!

Options
  • 29-10-2023 8:37am

I've lived in apartments my whole life which just has on demand hot water and heating through a prepaid community scheme. I've bought a house and trying to get the system configured as I'd like.

Downstairs there is a Gas Boiler - an ideal S18IE and a CTC EZIPROG1 EP1 1 Channel Programmer.

Upstairs in the "hot press" there is a large tank (similar to this) and two controls.

Apologies in advance for the newb questions

• Is the hot water heated by Gas or electricity?
    • With the settings as they are - should there be no hot water?
    • I know I can get hive for the central heating, is it also possible to get it for the immersion? I'd like a more user friendly control.

I'm just very worried I'm gonna get a bill shock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

That's your basic immersion setup powered by electricity.

Switch the timer to clock and then the immersion switch to on.

Sink and bath just means how much hot water you want.

The little arrow on the clock is the time is now, so you will need to reset it as the time changes for winter and summer. Then using the little pull out things on the timer clock you decide when and for how long the immersion goes on for. So set it an hour before you get up if you have an immersion shower in the morning etc.

If you want hot water immediately just turn the switch on the timer to on.

Yes no hot water with settings as they are.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Depending on gas setup it might heat the water too.

Generally speaking the central heating system heats the water, which is great in winter as there's always hot water.

However my gas system doesn't you need to hit the water button on the control panel even if heating is running.

We don't touch our immersion, we use the gas to heat the water even during the summer (obviously we don't turn the heating on).

I think it's cheaper to use gas rather than the immersion or it was.

In my old house, it was also gas but there was no "water" button so during the summer I'd have to use the immersion. The "sink" button is enough for a shower , I don't think I ever used the "bath" setting.

Unfortunately with new houses there's a bit of trial and error to find out what buttons do what

• Thanks both

I've looked at https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058010790/immersion-smart-control but it's from 4 years ago.

Is there a "go to" for smart controls for my set up? Looking at the hive, but not sure if it would do the hot water as well.

• Yes no hot water with settings as they are.

That's what I was expecting but there is hot water. The central heating is on, so would that "override" the switches!?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

So your gas is heating the water separately to this setup as the other poster mentioned above. So anytime you have the heating on you will also have hot water

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

• Just back to this - been using my gas boiler to heat the hot water but this is now behind a smart thermostat so the boiler isn't running as often. As a result the hot water isn't always available/as hot as it should be.

With the immersion being on - is that the heating element will be on the whole time, or it will maintain a certain temperature for the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Is your heating system zoned and do you know if you have a specific heating zone for the hot water cylinder or does all of the house have to be heated at the same time?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I believe when it's the gas boiler it's just one zone.

I'm curious about the electric thermostat. Does it just stay on for the whole time it's set or does it just maintain the water temperature in the hot water tank?

Advertisement