Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Restaurants/Take Aways Dublin

Options
  • 29-10-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello, out of desperation I am starting this thread in the hopes of finding decent Indian takeaways/restaurants around Dublin. I live in Dublin 24 and have went to quite a few (about 8) in that last year and none are up to scratch. When you've tasted proper Indian Rest curry and know how difficult it is to replicate (nearly impossible) you know what you're looking for standard wise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to go? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭NiceFella

What places have you went to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Norbertollio

Kundan (which used to be outstanding up till about 10 years ago when it was taken over) I just thought I'd chance it and it wasn't very good. Mam's for takeaway (used to be fairly good) . Spice village and Meghna Terenure. Delhi Lounge Rathfarnam. Shakira and Chilli tandoori Clondalkin . Chili Tandoori was about the best but not quite good enough. and Delhi Darbar in Lucan. We ate the food every time but I wouldn't be going back for more. Chilli Tandoori is the only place I went back to. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Norbertollio

There's nowhere really is there. Since the lockdown the places I used to go to in town are shut, like Saagar and another that was open till 4am on Temple Lane (can't remember the name it had two entrances) it was a bit grubby but the food was class.

Btw apologies to Mods if this is in wrong section I searched and searched for Indian Rest food on this website and got nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

If you're in Tallaght did you try India Gate on the Belgard Rooad? I find it good but you obviously have very high standards. I'd recommend giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a bit away, but I ate a few years ago in Chakra by Jaipur in Greystones, and I'm still drooling at the thoughts of it. Hands down the best Indian I've ever eaten in in Ireland (not that I've eaten in many).

I've heard a lot of people raving about Pickle in Camden Street, but never been there myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My boss who hails from there says Rasam in Glastule is the best he's eaten in Ireland.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

If you tasted BIR curries in the UK in the seventies & eighties, you soon realize there are very few restaurants that can match the quality now.

Fortunately, it is pretty straightforward to make fantastic quality curries at home that will leave most restaurants at the starting gate. The secret, if there is one, is the use of a base gravy that is used in every curry from Korma to Vindaloo. Try http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/index.php?sid=9909545caaf07db1007017848f80ee62 to see how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm always making curries but the other night I made the best ever and I only threw it together

Entire cooked chicken (every bit)

Cayenne pepper 🌶

Kashmir chilli powder

Curry powder

Coconut milk

Tin of tomatoes

I would describe the end result as top level Indian takeaway , the cooked chicken ends up stringy but Amazing

In my town for takeaway I would have to say indie spice, the pashwari naan is unbelievable, sweet almondy and I don't bother with rice it's so good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,796 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I like pickle in town and Kari in inchicore is tasty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

One I found by chance recently and can't get enough of it. Spice and Rice Express on Dorset Street. No airs and graces about this spot but I've found their dishes excellent. Fantastic value too, free poppadoms, a main course, naan, rice, 2 Cobras all for €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I've been to 50+ Indian restaurants in Ireland.

Not been to Ananda in Dundrum yet, but the best I've been to is Three Leaves in Blackrock market. Food is amazing, hostess is brilliant and will talk you through the menu.

Definitely worth the trip.

Ananda is fantastic but in an awful building in an awful part of the city.

Pickle still the best I've had in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Another recommendation for Pickle here, and it's interesting (though not surprising) to see Jaipur and Ananda mentioned in a similar breath to it, as Sunil Ghai who opened and operates it worked with the group behind both of the latter before striking out on his own: https://www.irishtimes.com/food/2023/09/10/sunil-ghai-we-never-toned-down-any-spice-level-or-any-recipes-just-because-we-are-serving-irish-people/

For the OP, if you're looking for a takeaway, Pickle is only eat in (they briefly did takeaway during lockdowns), but Street on Bird Avenue is run by the same people (as is Tiffin in Greystones, but it might be a bit far of a trek for a takeaway-only place), and I can recommend it as well. Street has a very small seating area that books up, but generally has more availability than Pickle, though lacks the ambience as it's a bit like the seating in a Camille Thai.

Street is lovely yeah but really a takeaway place. Indian food reheats up well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Kerala Kitchen on Baggot street is really nice. Eat in or takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm amazed to not see a mention of kajjal/kinara yet. They've one in ranelagh, clontarf and malahide and they're fantastic. Kathmandu is the next best I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I forgot about Kinara - great food.

Dosa Dosa on Grand Canal St (next door to the Registry office) is very good for dosa. It's outdoor seating only(some covered). They're opening another place in Lucan soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

Diwali on Geoeges Street is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Great Indian/Pakistani food at these restaurants below:

• BBQ Tonight on Clanbrassil Street
    • Kinara Kitchen in Ranelagh (bit pricey)
    • Zouq in Coolmine
    • Darbar Indian Cuisine in Coolmine
    • Bombay Pantry in Rathfarnham
    • Daata in Bray & Greystones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Pickle on Camden Street.

Stands head and shoulders above the rest. Everything freshly cooked, melt in mouth sauces.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Konkan on Clanbrassil street is top for me! They also run Kari in Inchicore, went in recently and it really delicious but they don't do takeaway. Another vote for Chutni in Knocklyon as well, really nice.

The back of the Eurasia shop in Fonthill does lovely dosas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Kinara is a very tasty Pakistani spot.

Not very authentic though, done for Irish tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Pickle, Chakra, 3 Leaves, Kinara (clontarf) in that order if eating in - also a bit out but Tiffin (takeaway version of pickle) is in charlesland but more than likely too far out for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

The chef left there a couple of years ago and opened Taza in Artane. Much more authentic menu and a better spot all round, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Konkan Dundrum is very good. Can be very slow with take-away collections, but I find the spice-blends that they use are very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pickle is great, but pricey and increasingly difficult to get a table. I booked over a month ago to get 6pm next Sunday. Friday and Saturday evenings are booked out months in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was a huge fan of Konkan Clanbrassil Street for years but the quality of their lamb fell after the last renovation and the prices kept going up. And then they started removing dishes from the menu. I know vindaloo is as authentically Indian as I am, but it's still something I'd expect to see on a suburban Dublin takeaway menu. I never minded paying the premium for Konkan, but it has become bad value.

Spice & Rice on Clanbrassil Street has been my fallback, though it's much more a big dirty feed than fine desi cuisine. And now their prices have gone up considerably too. Their garlic chicken pakora keeps me coming back, and probably always will.

For eat in, I like Diwali/Kathmandu Kitchen for casual, and especially for lunch. Everyone in Dublin who enjoys Indian food should go to Ananda at least once. I've enjoyed Pickle the couple of times I've been and am overdue a return. And a final shout-out for Vermilion in Terenure which is a lovely room and does very decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The best ones are in the East of the City so a bit out of the way for you, but worth the trip!

3 Leaves - Blackrock

Rasam - Glasthule

Ananda - Dundrum

Konkan - Dundrum & Clanbrassil St

Jaipur - Dalkey

Kinara - Clontarf & Ranelagh

Kerala - Ballsbridge

Taza - Raheny (Pakistani not Indian)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Far and away the best I have experienced (and most consistent) is Chutni (takeaway only) in Knocklyon.

Advertisement