Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a property early

Options
  • 29-10-2023 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone can help here but thought I would try. I have been living in a property for the last 10.5 years, I have finally received a valid notice of termination from the landlord, I want to leave the property a couple of months before the date on the notice of termination, I have nowhere to go but at this point I would rather be living in my car than in this property but my mother says if I leave early then the council will class me as having made myself intentionally homeless and will not house me. I have been on the social housing list for the last 10 years and have a disability but I am single, I seriously doubt they are going to house me anyway, they really do not care about single people in my experience when it comes to social housing. But obviously I don't want to mess up the slim chance I will be rehoused by leaving this property early. Also, the landlord sent the notice of termination then sent a rent increase a couple of months later which I cannot afford and I am receiving HAP, I don't think the council will agree to the rent increase when I have to move out 2 months later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Ask the council about a possible nomination for Tuath housing, now that you have to leave a valid termination notice to leave your current accommodation. Do not leave early.

Tuath do take people from the council waiting lists, and they do house single people - usually in one bedroom apartments. (A family member has one).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Appeal the rent increase to the RTB by the time the case is resolved you will be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The council will wait until you have a notice from the sheriff telling you to vacate. Do not leave voluntarily. Appeal the increase. in rent with the help of Threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Brilliant-for the love of God.

The RTB are now dealing with these much faster than before, if the Notice to quit and the rent increase are both legal, then the tenant has to abide by it, the rent increase will need to be paid by the due date, even if the issue is not fully resolved by the RTB. I know as well, that when I had issues with Tenants, they were refused help to pay their rent from the council for 12 months for causing problems in my property, it may not happen in every case, but it's happened to two of my tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

from RTB page "Tenants must continue to pay their rent at the existing rate for the tenancy until the case is determined unless both parties agree otherwise"

so, not at the increased rate

just file a dispute for the rent increase

• Advertisement
Advertisement