Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT backlog

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There really isn't any need to book months in advance.

The reason the priority list works is it's only dealing with 2 weeks at a time. Thats 1/24 of the possible dates in a year. But with 2/3 of the slots to supply it.

You can't "fill up" the priority list. Because you can't use it unless your date is near, I assume within 2 weeks.

People book unnecessarily early because of the delays. But thats actually adding to the bottleneck.

No doubt there's something broken in how the main booking process works. Going back to when the lifts broke many years ago.

They've hired more testers and expanded their opening hours. So that's also having an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So even the priority list couldn't get you a test appointment which would allow you to continue to legally drive your car on the road, and that's not even allowing that you might need a retest.

That's not what I'd consider reasonable or a functioning system.

No one on this thread is arguing it's a functioning system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it wont work for 300k, I mean how hard is that to understand

the queuing system hasnt changed

they added in later hours and I'd say by this time next year it will be back to normal

plus once a year passes you just move onto 2024

If there are 300k waiting for appointments, and the few posters including the OP talk about 6 mouth wait.

How come others can get an appointment within two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

there were 450k that were past the NCT date at one stage

There are always cancelations

Some people are flexible

You can either get the cancelations by being on the list

Or by looking late at night etc

There are not enough of them for everyone

Simple enough

Just because a few people can snatch the ephemeral cancellations that appear and disappear as quickly as snow in the Sahara at odd hours late in the night doesn't mean that everyone who has a car due for its NCT can book a suitable appointment within a reasonable timeframe.

If one person can win the euromillions lottery why can't everybody ?

Just checked online again for the second or third day. Each time there was only one appointment available on one day within one or two days and none then until 21st May

My NCT us due the second half of March. It looks like the best option is not to bother trying to book in advance for the NCT. Wait until January and ask to be put on the priority list (hoping whatever random offering I'm given suits) and leaves time for retest if needed.

Then for next year, try booking online early June to hopefully book a suitable test appointment for mid January.

If anything the situation seems to be worse than the last time I booked the NCT.

And just to rub salt into the wound the NCT booking site says in bold at the bottom of the page "It is your responsibility to ensure your vehicle holds a valid NCT at all times."

This is why people book months in advance.

It's a complete farce having to book an annual test nine or ten months in advance when the target waiting time service level is twelve days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Booked my NCT back in early July, next available date was 6th of November (next Monday) so took it. Car long out of date by now. Got notice today that the centre cancelled the appointment. Very infuriating.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

No just straight cancelled with refund and no explanation offered

Does that mean you have to go online yourself or phone Applus+ and ask to be put on their priority list to get a new test appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭M3CS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

NCT due early next year, checked Fri night and no luck. Checked during Sat. nothing available close by.

Checked just after 12am today got one for this Tuesday evening.

No problems booking NCT if you really want to.

How many appointments were available to choose from?

You had to try three times. There were none available nearby the first two times and you got an appointment by luck the third time, probably due to a last minute cancellation being put back on the booking system.

Everyone can't be lucky enough to get that one or two last minute cancellations. How many appointments are available in the next three to four months?

• Advertisement

Yes they can I've done it before, and I had to try way more than 3 times. But it only takes about 20s to check.

Stop looking for excuses and just book it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Congratulations. Are there 300,000 of these for people? Because you seem to think there are.

Unless there's only one or two people a day looking for a test an any one centre, they cannot. A handful will be lucky.

In my preferred test centre there's no availability showing online for the next six months.

If I widen my search to three test centres, there's no appointments showing for the next five months. Ditto if I look at the nearest six test centres (up to two and a half hours round trip away).

I'll just do the sensible thing and wait until I'm inside the 90 day test window and ask to go on the 'priority' list along with most other people. I can be reasonably flexible about the date and time but many people can't.

If people cannot book a reasonable appointment a reasonable time in advance, the booking system is broken. The booking system is broken.

No, any work colleagues I know who want to get an appointment have done so. Others who have been told would rather book it for 6 months away and if stopped by guards will say they can't get a nearer date. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO, YOU CAN GET AN APPOINTMENT WITHIN A WEEK WITH A LITTLE EFFORT.

I hope your friends are aware the penalty for driving without an NCT certificate is a fine of up to €2,000, and/or up to 5 penalty points and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months.

They should just use the priority booking list and ensure their car is tested and passes before their current NCT expires. It is their responsibility. It's in black and white (well yellow and black) on the NCTS website.

There's been wishy-washy statements from An Garda Síochánna that where drivers with lapsed certs show evidence of a test date, this will be taken into consideration and Insurance Ireland has stated that its members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to the current delays at the National Car Testing Service but there is nothing definitive or binding from either.

Aaaaah, sure, it it will be graaaand. It's all alright until it isn't.

At the start of the year Applus+ said they would have the wait time down to their target of twelve days by Summer. They haven't, they have utterly failed.

For motorists, complying with a legal requirement should not depend on luck or a nod and a wink.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with you with regards to personally responsible.

Not luck with getting an appointment just a little bit of time and persistence. I've done it this way for the last 5 times with different cars. I can't be always lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It seems quite bad alright.

I have an appointment for Nov 14. Was due really 6 weeks ago, not too bad.

But yesterday I logged on just to see was there anything, cancellation or so, for next week since it would suit me better.

Website said next available date April 2024 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

If you complete the test 6 months late due to backlog, will the next test be due from the actual test date or the date you were supposed to have taken it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The date you were supposed to have taken it. So your next NCT will be due in six months time.

If you're lucky and try booking it now you might be able to book your next test in time (just).

Else wait until 90 days before it's due and ask to go on their 'priority' list. The only problem with this is you don't have much choice or say for the date and time they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Just to add to the advice given on page 1 of this thread as posted by @bazz26 If you're checking the site at 23:30 it's best to check Monday-Thursday.

Sometimes fresh cancellations go up on the Friday night but not always and very rarely on Saturday or Sunday.

Aside from that ringing or getting onto the priority list via the website are the other options that work quite well at the moment as posted by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Surely, at this stage, we need a sticky on this! Every other week there is a thread on "NCT backlog", "I can't get a test", "The NCT is ***te", <insert other NCT related nonsense title here>....

The advice given is exactly the same every time. Call them, get on the priority list, login to the website in the middle of the night or just suck it up and take what appointment you get. The system is not working as intended but there are ways around it. That is what workarounds are, plenty of systems require them.... Try working in the software industry, you'll know plenty about workarounds then.

Complaining on Boards is not going to change anything with Applus, NCTS, the RSA, Department of Transport, the President of Ireland or anyone else, so use the system as presented. If you want to take the risk and happily drive a vehicle with an expired test for 6, 8 or however many months, then that choice is on you and take whatever penalty points and a fine may come with that choice.

#hereendeththerant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Exactly, it's just people being lazy to call up or check late at night. I've been through numerous NCTs and even recently managed to get a date within 3 days of looking with my actual NCT date just over 3 months away (car was coming up to 10 year old).

How many appointment slots were available to you in that three month interval when you managed to book a date in the next three days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

If you have a good relationship with your local garage, try asking them if they can get you a slot. I've done that before and they were able to get me a test slot within the week.

It took me 3 days to get a slot within a week that suited me, over those days looking I found around 15 different slots in Dublin. My NCT wasn't due until February but I took the NCT just over 3 months earlier in order to get a 2 year disc as the car was approaching 10 years old.

I found most success looking up online between 11-12 in the evening and then morning around 10am.

So an average of one appointment available per center per day - you can see why the booking system cannot work for most people. We can't all win the lotto.

Not to be too pedantic but as I should have specified I was only looking at the two Northpoint test centres so would have had decent availability. The thing is, from the numerous people who have required an NCT around me over the past year, everybody has managed to get a slot in within a couple of weeks.

I agree that the booking system should be more transparent and efficient but it just takes a little bit of effort to get sorted. There is no excuse to have NCT out for months on end anymore. Worst case apply for the priority list and you'll be sorted within a couple of weeks.

Out of interest I just checked and behold availability in Dublin as we speak:

I'm sick and tired telling people this. With a little effort you can get a time within a week or so.

I booked mine only Sunday morning and got a slot this evening. Car passed till Feb 2026. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say I didn't find the system that bad at all. I certainly had no need for a priority system.

When I first logged in during the summer and looked at test centres in Dublin it was giving me mad dates like 7mths later.

Went in again the next night and tried Drogheda instead, had a pick of a number of dates at weekend that suited and went for that.

Worked out great, tiny little place compared with the huge ones in Dublin, I was in and out with my NCT cert in about 30mins and it wasn't that much further drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

After trying several times over the last two weeks and the earliest I could get for my local centre was next May, I tried this morning (Sunday) at 6:30am and got a booking for this coming Tuesday afternoon.

Happy days as my NCT isn't out until 11th of Jan.

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Have they stopped doing tests on Sundays? I used to get my old car done on Sundays but just booked my current car in for June and there didn't seem to be any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Loads just released for the first week in December, in Fonthil anyway. I had a pick of times/days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement