Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homecaring period when child goes to school all day

• 30-10-2023 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. Any experience of claiming a home caring period due to children under 12? Just had a look at the form and the tone of it is that kids who are in school for the normal hours wouldn't qualify unless there's some special circumstances. Not sure if i'm overanalysing here.

I'm coming up to the end of a contract and my spouse is going in to a very busy few months, so was thinking of taking on all the school runs and housework, and working on a project at home during the day, for up to 6 months. Our child is in school and afterschool all day though, and we're not cancelling that and losing the place so. Will I have any issues with the claim, or is it really just child under 12 + parent not in work = sorted?

When do you claim, is it before leaving work or after the end of the homecaring period?

I'm not planning to claim JSA or any other benefits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’re over thinking this.

If you are not in insured employment and you have a child under the age of 12 for whom you are in receipt of CB or a child over the age of 12 with special needs or you are otherwise caring for someone in need of full time care and attention then you are considered to be “home caring”.

There’s no mention of going to school. Children of 12 have to go to school. It’s the law.

Advertisement