Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milano Marathon April 7th 2024

Options
  • 30-10-2023 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Who's in?

I had been contemplating it for the last week then spotted the 30% off flash sale at the DCM expo, so pulled the trigger.

Discount code is DublinAndMilanoMarathon24 and is valid until Nov 30th.

Learning from Amsterdam where my hotel was a little bit out I decided to book something a little closer this time.

The start/finish area is literally outside the lobby door. So yep, definitely closer.

Goal will be a guaranteed BQ. Got the BQ at Amsterdam, have a little over 4 mins to spare but this year that wasn't enough.

If anyone has raced it before, would love to hear some hints, tips and tricks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

A word of caution for anyone considering signing up.

When I signed up I saw mention of requiring a medical cert to run, and that more information would be emailed to me in February. There were very few details.

I went digging last night and discovered it's quite complex. A bureaucratic mess if I'm honest.

If you want a chip time you need to first buy a license from the Italian Athletics fed for €15, then provide a medical cert where a Doc has to sign off that they've performed an ECG, urine tests and a Spirography (??).

You can provide a simple medical cert, basically a Doc saying you're fit to run, but you'll get a Gun time only.

I only really figured that bit out by reading some online reviews where people said they never got a chip time.

Wasn't clear at all on any official stuff I read. I probably would have opted for that, which would have been a disaster for my BQ.

Not very happy I have to say.

All can be avoided however if you're a member of a club and can provide your AAI number.

Guess I'm joining a club so.

Post edited by Lazare on

• Hah crazy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It is the same for triathlons, if you are a member of triathlon ireland you can do triathlons in Italy without any of the medical checks. Pretty good they do that in Italy tbh - make sure people are fit to run and have no underlying issues.

I agree that the reasoning is good. It's the complexity and illogical nonsensensical elements of it that have me annoyed.

If the goal is to ensure safety why is it tiered?

Why do I need an ECG if I want to be on the results, but can get away with a simple wink wink doctors note if I don't.

It's complete bullsh1t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Running Lake Maggiore on Sunday. The letter I have from Athletics Ireland says 'TBO is a member of Lusk AC and is in good standing with his club', which I uploaded to the registration portal a few months ago. I had some back and forth with the marathon office by email and they said I didn't need one. Got the registration certificate today and it says OK re medical and compliant licence/card. I said to myself I'd get the medical certificate anyway just in case, didn't realise the ECG could be done locally. Spiro thing I think is lung capacity, so I don't have that. ECG made the GP appointment more pricey. HR was a little low, which they put down to fitness.

If for some reason they say I do need a more complete medical certificate I will show them their own emails saying they said no. I have printed versions of everything too.

Also discovered this which I don't have, don't think I need it. https://www.runcard.com/

• Advertisement

Regretting signing up to this thing.

What's worrying me is you've had back and forth with these incompetent fools, you're in the middle of your taper and you're still not 100% sure you've everything in order.

FFS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah agree. It's a good idea in theory especially for long distance running and long distance triathlon but bit pointless overall when there are different options depending on where you're from. Ironman Italy has this rubbish. https://dokeop.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/47001226455-registration-process It might be pretty similar for marathons.

I found a flowchart last night from Milan 2022 and it was very similar to that.

I've emailed them looking for clarity around the chip time/gun time thing.

If I don't get that clarity I'm going to seek a refund. I won't get it.

I'd sooner write off the €50 odd I paid rather than spend my last few weeks of build anxious about it.

We'll see.

Advertisement