Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a 2nd Hand Car for Work

• 30-10-2023 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My daughter is looking to get a car for work she’ll probably do about 50- 60 km per day on dual carriageway usually just herself travelling.

She previously had a Mitsubishi Colt which was faultless but probably want slightly bigger, 4 door, petrol but something slightly more powerful than the Colt and ideally less than 50k km mileage

My first thoughts were Ford Fiesta or VW Golf as I’m not familiar with other makes like Kia, Skoda Hyundai etc. but would consider anything as long as it’s reliable.

I could purchase in UK as I travel a lot over there and there does seem to be more choice though not sure if it would work out cheaper after import duty.

budget is €7,500 any help much appreciated

Post edited by pavb2 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

UK isn’t a great option considering all the additional charges now.

Less then 50k km will also be difficult with a €7.5k budget.

If you want something reliable you’d need to stay with Japanese cars such Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Mazda/Suzuki etc

But at 100km a day thats around 25k km a year which is kind of diesel territory. Japanese manufacturers don’t really sell that many diesels, at least not reliable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thinking about 100 km might be incorrect 50 km to 60 km is more accurate. Yes less than 50 k mileage might be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d say definitely stick with petrol then as they will be much more reliable.

I would recommend a Prius but its hard to find a low mileage one, not that it really matters much with Japanese cars as they are generally bullet proof. This Toyota Auris looks quite nice tho.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35226389

Advertisement