Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do i really need to buy original genuine parts

• 30-10-2023 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

got an 2009 ford transit and need to change diesel fuel filter but few guys say i need to buy genuine one from ford main dealers but would the good aftermarket one not do just as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For a 2009 van I wouldn't be too worried about genuine parts.

I'd still fit a good filter and not some cheap shite from god knows where, but it doesn't need to be genuine.

The need for genuine relates more to vehicles within warranty, as it is a term of manufacturers warranty that genuine parts must be used and so spurious parts can and will be used as an excuse to invalidate a claim should one be needed.

But 2009 is well past the point of worrying too much about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As above with a van that age you don't need OEM.

If you know of a good independent motor factor order one there.

If they are established and genuine they won't sell you rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I recently went to my local ford dealer and got a fuel filter for my 2010 Mondeo 2.0 tdci, €72. Needless to say I returned it and got a Mann filter for €30, which is the exact same filter without FoMoCo written on it.

So I'd say for your 2009 get a Mann filter.

I service a family members Kuga. That's a Purflux filter. Oil and air filter is Mahle

There is no "genuine" parts, just find who the manufacturer uses to write their name on parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Wouldn't be too worried about the filter , buy quality oil and change it more frequently, on older cars it's the pickup syphon clogging with carbon a good oil has detergents that prevent the engine being starved of oil even though the dipstick shows its full of oil !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

Believe it or not they don't actually just take an aftermarket part and stamp "Ford" or whatever on them. They are normally made by Mahle, Purflux etc but to a different spec to their aftermarket parts and on a different production line.

That said will an aftermarket Mahle filter be fine, yes of course it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Okay fair enough I didn't know that, every day is a school day.

Different spec as in how small they filter down to? I.e better quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

Yes generally the OEM will be better built, finer mesh, more surface area etc or with suspension parts, better quality rubber and steel. Every manufacturer has their own specs and tolerances they set out.

That said an aftermarket filter from a decent brand will still be good, just not the same as the OEM

Advertisement