Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement Axle (or maybe just a new old wheel)

• 31-10-2023 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

So. I've been asked to renew an old seven speed Raleigh mountain bike for a refugee. Pretty everything about the bike needs work but is fixable. Except the rear axle which has snapped in two. It's for a Quando hub with a screw-on freewheel. The internal distance between the rear drop-outs is about 136mm, or 150mm if I measure from the outside of the dropouts. I reckon the total width of the axle should be about 180mm to allow for space for tightening nuts. I have looked online for a replacement but can't seem to find something I'm confident will work. Would anyone have said axle or even an old rear mountain bike rear wheel they're on the cusp of throwing away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I have this bike I rescued from a skip. It's 7 speed

Mechanically it's not far off but I don't have the time to do anything with it at the moment.

So if you want to come have a look and see if it's any use you're more than welcome to take the whole bike

Dublin 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Hi De Bhál, thanks for the much-more-generous-than I'd anticipated offer. In the event I found an axle that seems to fit on an abandoned BMX bike. (I still need spacers to stop the rear cassette rubbing against the chainstays when I fit it though...just in case anyone has few lying around somewhere.)

That said, it did occur to me that, if you weren't going to work on it, it might be worth looking at the Bikes for Ukraine project. I'm happy to collect and deliver it to them if that was something you might want to consider.

Thanks again for the offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭De Bhál

thanks, I'll drop it to them myself. Hadn't heard of that project

Advertisement