Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

"I've run Paris, Berlin, Valencia and Amsterdam."

The first 2 are among the worlds most popular marathons and people come near and far to do them.

I bet if you look at the entries for Valencia - probably the most similar to Dublin - there would be a lot of Juan's and Maria's as well. Amsterdam is another of the "destination" cities for people to visit and that you can get a train or drive there from half of Europe would help.

I would also say that I know loads of people who went out to watch a friend running who signed up the next year, and their friends then signed up, and their friends, and suddenly you have a massively popular event.

A big problem with Dublin is the fact that hotels are extortionate and the place is a bit of a overpriced city when all is said and done. Maybe its Dublin and tourism and the supply of hotel beds that needs to change. I wouldn't spend a fortune on flights and hotels to run around Dublin when I could do Paris or Amsterdam, that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Trampas

Valencia is a great route for supporting someone. You can see them 5 places and walk a total of 2 kms and could add another place with another km of walking.

I remember doing Rotterdam and they had races on Saturday and Sunday. Seems like cities outside here embrace marathons but here it’s treated as a pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

It is certainly embraced by the public here. Great crowds and atmosphere. DCC on the other hand....

So basically Owen Keengan drops a cluster bomb and f's off leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. Great chap!

Hopefully this route nonsense blows over and we can get back to giving out about something else!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DCC have been great at supporting events tbf. There are a couple of head banger councillors thrown into the mix but even then I don't hear them moaning too much about the marathon. Owen Keegan is an unelected former employee of the council and he no longer has any say in the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

I see GFA has been mentioned a bit by posters.

However, as far as I am aware there is a big issue with GFA for Dublin. the organisers will only accept GFA if you are registered with a club. so if I have a GFA but I am not a club member then they will not accept my time?

Not exactly fair is it??

I do think that is something Dublin could do a bit better on. A route which converged with different parts coming close to a previous part of the route would be welcome. Unless you have a bike or are able-bodied enough for a lot of walking, then it can be a long hard slog to catch somebody more than once.

I still feel its embraced by the people of Dublin. As I said, I live close to the route and its not the PITA that a few Liveline callers make it out to be. You just plan around it, its one day its not a weekly occurrence. My only criticism of it is that I feel the clean-up does not properly clean the streets and many of the streets still have energy gels, bottles, etc on them. The whole route should be cleaned with a sweeping machine and people on brushes. That said, it would be better if the route was flanked with bins every 500m for example - it would be 80 bins but hardly that much to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Sort of on the above, I thought it would be a good idea if they did up a "supporters route".

Im not from Dublin and had some mates coming up to watch me. I just told them to wait at the RDS but would have been good if I could say "Here is a wee map, it shows you can see me at Mile X, then you can walk for 15 mins down these roads and see me at mile X" etc. Might not be possible and maybe they dont want people moving around too much. And the support is incredible so not a major issue, but just something I thought of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Milltown was heaving, LUAS had Sunday service on, delays for an age to get back into town, another example of how much of a joke this country is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

It also seems a little crazy that the DART doesn't run from Connolly to Howth on the Saturday and Sunday too due to their scheduled maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well it might seem unfair, but as the Dublin Marathon serves as the National, Provincial and Dublin County championships (three separate competitions which are limited to club members), it's only right that runners who are competitive at senior level, as well as masters runners competitive in their age categories, should have a 'guaranteed' route into the event. London Marathon does similar for their national championships. The vast majority of club runners, of course, do not make the GFA times and enter by the same route as everyone else.

That said, I’d love to see expanded GFA for all - a good way to attract a certain type of runner and also a great incentive to runners of all calibres to improve their times. A lot better than guaranteed entry anyway.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Survey online now via twitter and Facebook links.

People have their chance to state their preference for an extended transfer window. To be fair the majority of the rest of the questions that are under their control will be positively answered.

Link: https://t.co/qlP8QFhy4v

Putting it out on Social media was a bit silly IMO. The results can be massively skewed by people who didnt do the event.

The sent it to your email as well, should have been left at that

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mogoose10

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how likely it is to get to run next year? It is my first marathon. My son has cancer and I'm hoping to run to raise money for a children's cancer charity. I've started making a blog and other online bits which is not too much work as I'm in digital but I was hoping to launch it all when I start training. I'm worried I'm going to be very disappointed if I can't actually get an entry. I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies if this is a repeat question.

If you are in now I'd be certain you'll get an offer as the ballot appears to be a continuous rollover until places are taken.

Some charities have places to give if you agree to raise X amount. Reach out to the one you want to raise for an see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Not true.

There's very limited spaces available in the lottery as they are guaranteeing a slot to anyone that entered this year, whether they ran or not. I applied in two rounds last year and didn't get an entry. So entered a marathon abroad instead.

The charity route as mentioned above might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Lottery entry isn't closed yet but if you enter you'll find out soon enough. It's a reasonable likelihood that most entries will get a place even if all don't. If you don't get in, you still have loads of time to enter for somewhere else next autumn instead. Unless you want to do somewhere else anyway, in which case don't bother with the Dublin entry that will annoy you if you get in.

I'm sure if you don't come out of the ballot, you'll be able to find a charity to run for. Enter the ballot, and see how you get on. If you don't come out, then reach out to your chosen charity.

Above all, I think I can speak for everybody here when we wish you all the best with your sons treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dissq1

Too late now as I didn't sign up, but as a runner this year I could have taken my place and then legitimately transferred it to you when the transfer window opens. Is this creating a bit of a sub market for entries? For example next year the week of the marathon could there be petitions on here for runners to take their places with an agreed transferor in place?

Either way I saw lots and lots of entries going during the transfer window on the Dublin Marathon group on Strava so if you join there it will help, and there are some going here also. Understand not wanting to tie your colours to the Dublin Marathon mast if you aren't certain of a place. The charity places in your case seem like a good option.

Best wishes to your family at this time, I hope your sons treatment is going well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ILast year they allowed refunds and then once refunds were processed they allowed people to sign up again as a first come first served. They also did a transfer system for a while. If they do that again this year, you should be pretty much guaranteed to get an entry. If I were you I would start training and launch the blog anyway. Even if you don't get a lottery entry, just keep training and doing you blog. Try and get one again when the window re-opens or they do they allow transfers.

I'd reach out to Dublin Marathon personally and ask them what your best option would be. They might put you in touch with someone. 016232250

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It might be said that the drama of suffering through a lottery system makes for some good blog entries, so launch away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone who wants to run Dublin under their own name I’d be surprised if you don’t get an entry with lottery and transfer system

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mogoose10

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. I reached out to the charity I have in mind through the portal they have on Dublin Marathon website

(didn't even see that when I was signing up). Hopefully hear from them soon. My mind has been put at ease now. It sounds like even if I don't get a place in the lottery or if the charity don't have a designated place that they can give me, that I will likely be able to pick one up at some stage. Have made a note of where people post them so thank you for that

and also thank you for the well wishes for my son.

Yes I will have to mention my worry about not getting a place in the blog

Thank you all so very much again

You'll definitely get a place one way or other. Have had a relative who had a similar situation and said the mental release connected with running while their child was sick made a massive difference to how they dealt with the situation. Just the headspace and stress relief was insane. Thankfully they had a successful outcome and hopefully you will have the same.

I dreamt last night I was trying to find the start line for the marathon and had forgotten my energy gels, and one of my friends had finished before I had started! Not as bad as Kieran Cuddihy from Newstalk forgetting his runners I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

No doubt a Marathon causing a small bit of disruption in Dublin city sounds less of an issue to those complaining about it right about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

2024 lottery places out tomorrow from what I can see. Best of luck to all who entered.

Advertisement