Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Got a rejection email also. I ran this year my first one but didn't enter the guaranteed entry as the days after the marathon I couldn't face into even thinking about doing another one. By the time the dust settled, the body recovered and the post marathon glow and smugness appeared the guaranteed entry was closed.

Ah look I'm assuming I'll pick up a transfer next summer. But for the moment I'm kinda glad that the pressure is off me for a bit and I can make a decision next summer when the transfer window opens.

Himself got an entry so at the very least I can go up and support him - great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Half the people who came out of the ballot are probably Googling couch to 5k this morning. By the time they do their first Parkrun, they'll realise 8.5 times that is a long way to run.....I just hope they take the refund rather than letting the entry go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rejected also, as was the case last year; everyone else I know got a rejection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WicksSmith

I'm in! Delighted 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Also rejected. Will train away after the Christmas anyway and see where it takes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭positron

I am in. Delighted but gutted to see so many rejections. When did DCM start rejecting lottery applicants?! I thought that was a London thing. Scarcity tactic perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

They are doing a lottery a few years now. There have been rejections in them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

There will be another round or more to fill the places. Hopefully they release details of how many applied altogether and how many places offered in each phase etc. With so many reporting rejection, knowing how long the waiting list is will help people assess whether alternate race plans will be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I was rejected last year and then got in after the Refund/Cancellation period back in June. It seemed to be open for about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

I would hope they will release some figures around number of entrants in the lottery and places offered/rejected. It seems there were a lot of rejections and for transparency purposes they should confirm they didnt hold any places back (while keeping rejected entrants fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

wouod they not just do another lottery with the people who paid €6 for. A lottery ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rega

Rejected here too.

I might look at a European marathon and make a weekend of it. Probably cheaper than a night in Dublin anyway!

Master

Not make x amount of spots available for this lottery. Or how many places they keep back for charities. It would be good to see a breakdown of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you entered this year and got selected you were coughing up the money. No chance to reject the enter at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I probably will do that too, same as last year.

Probably won't release that. I doubt any were held back from the lotto then just the usual for charity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

I was successful in the lotto. Never done a marathon before. Turning 40 next year the motivation.

the fear is real now. Will be a regular here looking for all the tips and tricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭FazyLucker

Fazy can live up to his name also, rejection here as well.

Oh well, I guess its feet up for the next year. Dublin or nowhere........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I might be miss-remembering but I thought they only went on general sale on the website in June for a few days. I definitely remember thinking it was a good thing someone posted here about it or I would have missed it.

I also think it might be a bit more demand for it this year as more people will know it's an option as last year it was a new thing.

That's a pity Sunny! It really is too close to be asking people to sign up again, like even a week later would be enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Got accepted here. Have ran lots of races upto a half but never a marathon. Delighted to get in. Going to give it a good lash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Entered for the same reason but didn't get in. Best of luck with it

Master

Best of luck with it. It really is a fantastic race

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Any other good marathons in Ireland around fall 2024?

Master

The Dingle marathon is on in Sept. Its an amazing route, I cant imagine theres many more scenic marathon runs anywhere in the world. The loop around Slea Head is breath-taking (in every way). Not a PB course just to be warned, lots of hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Folks who go rejected - what are your plans? Be find another marathon, try and get in during the transfer period, or do something else?

Had a great year of running this year and felt like I was finally ready to ramp up and tackle it next year, but wasn't to be (yet) unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got in but my plan if I didn't was to just keep running and training and hope I got an entry later on. I seen so many people selling entries online and was offered a few entries from people I know for this years marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

I'm not sure. I need to fly in so need plane tickets, hotel, transport.

I'm still hoping for a 2nd wave of sales but can't wait forever.

Advertisement