Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WATERPROOF HUNTING JACKET

Options
  • 31-10-2023 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I have a number of shooting jackets for cold/mild weather - all classed as waterproof.

They all keep out the rain and showers but I noticed that when out in very heavy, continuous showers for over an hour and a half ...then the jacket slowly starts to wet out, and patches of dampness appear on the shoulders and across the back.

The jackets are all a few years old.

I have treated them with Graingers and last year with Nikwax waterproofing liquids...it lasts for a while but then tends to wet out in very heavy, prolonged showers.

The jackets are rated at 10,000mm, 12,000mm and one Gortex and then another two are DeerTex (Deerhunter) ......but eventually all slowly wet out in heavy downpours.

Does anybody have a completely waterproof shooting jacket brand they could recommend from experience of being out in heavy downpours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Kuiu yukon. I’ve been out in some torrential downpours and often lying in water logged ground while out stalking. Been kept dry on every outing so far in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

arcteryx leaf alpha jacket and pants. Could stand in the shower all day in them and be dry

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

I have the Kuiu Northridge set, its their cheapest set and I got it on Sale, now its not a one and done like some jackets on the market. Ive been out in torrential rain and stayed dry underneath.

FWIW if you're interested in any of the Kuiu they're starting a sale tomorrow. The Yukon that Heavy Handed has is a step up again from mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

mpt or dpm goretex british army jacket?

They are shells, and designed for layers under, but mine never leaked, and they are not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Along the lines of the same subject. Is there any waterproof jackets with a removable inner lining out there ? In warm weather the lining can be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would you consider a Barbour waxed cotton jacket? Some of them are made to take a winter lining (gilet-type). Probably €€€ new these days though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I gave up on wax jackets years ago. Hard to beat modern synthetic fibres for durability and long life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alex90

Best I've found in torrential rain is an army surplus smock. Irish dpm smock Google search throws up a few results.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Best waterproof parka I have ever had is an ex Dutch army Goretex . Nothing for a fashion show but does the biz. It cost me all of £10 on eBay some years ago.

Advertisement