Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water near base of window frame??

Options
  • 01-11-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

The photos show where I am seeing water at the base of a bay window. It's where the window is placed on the sill, see the red arrow.

I am wondering if anyone knows how I can stop this?

I presume the rain is somehow getting into the frame and ending up inside at the bottom. Perhaps I can try seal any external joints in the frame that may be allowing it enter?

The trickle outlet appear to be clear. I took the covers off and poked around them. Also the last photo looks like it shows them working.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you check under the cill outside?

It's possible driving rain is getting between bottom of window.and the structure it's sitting on.

The weep holes may be working against you too. Possibly letting driving rain in.

If.it was mine, I'd visually.check everything Externally then use a hose or powerhose starting low down to see where water comes in. Id remove carpet first at window to allow any bubbling of water to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In addition to what @mickdw says, you might have a single-piece cill or a double-piece cill, you need to find out which one you have. The single-piece cill looks like this and takes the window directly on it:

On a one-piece cill the gap between the window and the cill is usually fitted with just a small bead of silicone in the middle of the face where the window lies and the front of the cill isn't sealed so that water can drain off the cill.

A two-piece cill has a lower cill which lies over the brickwork and runs under the window (much like what you see above except that it's usually thinner and sometimes made of aluminum) turning upwards to give an internal lip like what you see under the red arrow. An over-cill is then fitted externally and sealed against the window-frame to provide a run-off from the window and to protect the under-cill somewhat.

You can look under the external cill to see which one of these that you have fitted as you should see a double-lip on the two-piece type. Here's what mine looks like from underneath:

Once you know what you're dealing with it can help understand where additional silicone will and will-not be beneficial. It's possible that the window has dropped on one corner causing some pooling at that junction. If that's so, you may need to think about inserting shims under the cill from the inside to improve the lie of the cill and encourage water to flow better.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Thanks @mickdw and @10-10-20

I'm not too familiar with the terminology for uPVC windows and frames. I'll check tomorrow about which type of cill it is and do a full inspection externally as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Got delayed getting back to this problem.

I checked the cill and it looks to me like it's a single piece cill. It is only about 14cm above ground level so I don't think that driving rain could get under there. See photo.

This is another photo of the track where I sometimes see water. The gap between the side of the track and the edge of the frame is about 4mm at the corner end. I see that there is almost no gap like this on the rest of this box/bay window.

So I presume that this should be sealed on the inside one way or the other. I've put a silicone seal along there. I also did a more thorough clean of all weep holes and ridges in-between. Old heavy gauge guitar strings work brilliantly for this, for anyone interested!

There was still some water appearing where I put the silicone seal, wet on top on the inside, with the recent rain. Not as much though. The windows are 22 years old and the PVC coating has shrunk in places and is peeling.

So I figured that this problem may only be happening now since some of the window frame joints are now letting in more water and the drainage isn't working as well.

I've used silicone (v carefully!) To seal some joints that may be contributing to the problem.

I'll check it out with a hose in a few days. Fingers crossed now.

Advertisement