Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I file a tax-free lump sum pension payment I inherited and paid 33% IHT?

• 01-11-2023 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20

Can someone please help me understand my tax obligations in the following scenario?

I inherited a 5-year mandatory pension of €147,000 from my partner in 2018 and paid an inheritance tax of 33% but did not draw down the pension until August 2023 (owing to a dispute). The pension had accumulated in value by €3000 when it was paid. I have an annual pension of €21,228 which is paid via PAYE. I have no other income. These are the questions I have:

1. Do I need to declare the €150,000 as income in my PAYE annual return, or declare only the €3000 accumulated between 2018 and 2023? And what tax is owed?
    2. What additional taxes (if any) am I liable for, besides the IHT 33% I have already paid on the lump of €147,000?
    3. Can I declare this myself in PAYE in 'MyAccounts'?
    4. Is there a way to reduce my tax liability?
    5. Any suggestions on what investments I should consider to improve the current pension I'm earning? I'm 70 y.o. so would prefer a low-risk option.

Advertisement