Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Advisor or not?

Options
  • 01-11-2023 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,

Recently sold my house so I have a chunk of money i probably won't need for at least the next 5 years. Obviously I should talk to a financial advisor, but apparently because I'm with AIB, they provide financial advisors for free.

Should I try one of them? Or will they (probably) only steer me towards AIB investment stuff. Otherwise could someone recommend a good financial advisor in the west dublin area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Never hurts talking with them but I'd always look at going to multiple to get a broader view of the world so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Avoid the bank's 'advisor' like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

From experience, the Banks advisor will have a shiny brochure of their various investment options, all with impressive graphs showing varying levels of gain versus risk.

Only in the very small print we it say that you.may lose all your investment if markets don't perform as expected.

There's something particularly seedy about AIB staff (who have access to your bank balances) teeing up customers for their in-house advisors (who don't have access to your bank balances).

Apparently, if you've €40K or more in an account you're flagged to be sold an overpriced (some of the highest charges in the market) Irish Life product.

Gerard Sheehy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

AIB were always a bit dodgier than Boi

Probably a sales talk rather than investment advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Nothing to lose (is 30 minutes of your time invaluable), use it as an information gathering exercise, don't sign up for anything, advice/knowledge never hurt anyone

Advertisement