Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to buy a bike?

Options
  • 01-11-2023 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying the 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1, it's discounted about 15% at the moment, but I'm wondering should I wait until the new year, would 2023 bikes typically be discounted even more then? I'm not in a great rush as I don't use road bikes much during winter anyway....

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Best time is when you can afford it when it's a specific bike. If you're waiting in a haircut on the price then you might get lucky or might get beaten to the punch.

That said, pretty much everything is overpriced at the moment imo, even with the discounts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where are you looking?

I bought a Giant electric mountain bike on Germany at over 25% less than the best Irish price I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

https://jonito.de was the one I used but there are others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Black Friday can have good deals, though not every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you're buying it on the bike to work scheme it's before the end of the year anyway as it'll make the gap between the next one shorter 😁

I'd have said 15% off is good but I know giant are changing their line up and have released the 2024 bikes already so that's probably the reason for the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

There’s one available below with 30% off, size ML only and delivery to NIreland only…

In pre-covid times, I think between now and spring was cheapest time to buy as this year’s remaining stock was discounted to make room for next year’s shiny new models.

There hasn’t been that much discounting the last few years but it’s definitely back this year. I think you probably could do better than 16% off, but when you’re tied to one specific model there’s always a risk that what you’re looking for sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you just wanted any endurance type bike with a similar spec (in your size obviously) then I'd hold out a while, but if you want a specific make and model there is a risk that the 2023 version will sell out.

I got an email from Ridley yesterday with up to 40% off their rip off RRPs

Advertisement