Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Property Purchase

Options
  • 02-11-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,

I hope this is the correct forum for this. I was wondering of anyone could share their experience in purchasing a commercial property?

My understanding is that a larger deposit amount is typically required compared to a residential purchase (20-30% vs 10%) and that the mortgage term is typically shorter (5-15 years VS up to 35). Is this correct?

Are there typically other steps / costs involved outside of the legal fees, planning application process & stamp duty?

For context I run a small business and am hoping to buy a premises instead of renting as the rent VS mortgage repayments (even with a shorter duration) look roughly equal. I know there is quite a bit of uncertainty in the commercial property sector at present but am happy to take the risk.

Any tips/advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spark Plug

You will also need to pay the Bank's legal fees associated with their solicitor establishing good and marketable title as well as taking security over the premises, the Bank will also want to instruct their own valuer and this fee will be payable by you as well. You are correct that a larger deposit will be required (up to 40%) will be required depending on the quality of the property and location etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

I am involved with a company that was renting and then bought out our offices.

As you say, the cost of the purchase roughly matched the rent so it was a relatively easy decision.

That was over 10 years ago and the value of the offices has increased since then which is good too.

The downsides are that the deposit required is larger (but the loan required is therefore smaller so repayments are lower).

You need to be sure that the property suits your needs both now and into the foreseeable future as commercial property may not be easy to sell in the short term.

The price needs to be right too -- it might make sense when you match it against your rent but is it correct for the value of equivalent properties in your location?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

what about from perspective of pure investment play. What margins are typical?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yield will depend on purchase price and rental income, the answer to your question will be specific to the property you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cost matching the rent would not be an exact like-for-like comparison due to differing tax treatment.

Stamp duty is 7.5%. You would need to allow 10% on top of the "hammer price" for any purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement