Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying car for first time

• 02-11-2023 3:10pm

So I got my license a few years ago but didn't get a car at the time.

I'm ready to get one now but I'm trying to get a sense of how much insurance will cost but I need a car for that. Bit of a chicken and egg situation but if I buy a car how will I get it to my place without driving it myself, do most dealers deliver?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the dealer but most of the medium to larger sized dealers will offer a delivery service. You could also ask somebody you know who has the driving of other cars or open drive extension under their own insurance policy, to drive it home with you. Just note that with the driving of other cars extension it generally only offers third party cover.

BTW if you want to get an idea of insurance prices, go onto done deal or carzone and use sample registration numbers of cars your interested in buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you have cars you are interested in, ring an insurance company and tell them you are buying and have a bunch of reg plates (if you have them) or car types (if no reg) and then just go through it with them. Once they have your details it's only a few seconds for them to check each car.

Good luck with the buying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also, meant to say - when I bought my first car, I had agreed to buy it from dealer, then I confirmed insurance with insurer and rang them to activate it when I was there to collect. So I was insured from the get-go. Policy can be activated immediately, then the documentation will follow on in the post a few days later.

The dealer will usually give you a receipt or something you can show guards if stopped with discs showing (same applies for tax).

Thanks everyone

Advertisement