Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Internet Destroying Some People’s Lives? **Mod Warning In Post #131**

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You implied a person was mentally ill for not liking small talk with strangers. If you're new to the concept of introverted people, it's perfectly healthy and normal. Not everyone wants to talk to randomers, particularly in places like pubs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The internet has been responsible for the rise of the beta male. You know the sort - into cryptocurrency, Andrew Tate, Call of Duty marathons, anger towards women who don’t want to date/sleep with them.

Big old stew of stupidity, toxic masculinity, outrage and dopamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Thats always been there. The internet just gave them a place to gather en masse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I guess some people would consider autism, or Asperger’s, as a mental illness.

Not sure if that’s the “definition” nowadays, though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t know a single human being who has had their life destroyed by the internet, nor have I heard of one…. and the internet has been in regular use by people since mid 1990’s… so almost 30 years. I’ve never even heard another human say… “ahhh that too bad, the internet ruined him.” Or “ Jesus she was actually ok before she went online “

I’ve also never heard of people being ‘left behind’ by the internet… some people just leave the internet behind they are fine with that.

the internet is a tool, for information, communication, entertainment and more besides. If the internet gets blamed by a person on destroying a person’s life, then they have more issues then the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being introverted.

However the posts I were reacting to, where two posters held extreme over-the-top reactions to small talk with strangers, were indicative of larger personal issues to me. In my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Your humble opinion directly stated that we have mental issues, that it's pathetic, a result of unresolved trauma, indicates depression. An exact quote:

Grown men whining over and over again about how much they hate small talk and sneering at other people’s own passions don’t sound like well-adjusted, happy adults to me. 

Completely oblivious* to the fact your own words are your whine about how I'm unsocial/introverted. All above a #bekind sig.

You're a dick, simple as, and people like you are part of the reason I've become an introvert. *Most likely you know exactly what you are and all words are deliberately chosen. Off with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I said your opinions were pathetic meaning that they were worthy of pity and empathy, not to put you down or refer to you specifically as pathetic.

I genuinely feel sorry for you that you feel the need to be so scornful of strangers, and find small talk so repellent.

You think I’m being a “dick” for saying that but you presented your views and I reacted honestly and fairly: it’s not healthy or well-adjusted, in my view, to be so averse to making small talk with strangers. It just isn’t.

Twice during this discussion you blamed “people like” me for turning you into an introvert, I find that very illuminating that you blame other people for your own problems.

I’m not a dick when I disagree with your extreme opinions and it’s not my fault you’re an introvert. You need to look in the mirror if you’re looking for someone to blame for these issues you’re having.

I really wish you nothing but the best for you and anyone who has such a hard time rubbing elbows with strangers. It’s a big world out there and we all need to live in it together.

edit: fixed a typo

Post edited by CGI_Livia_Soprano on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Less of the aggression, patronising and personal insults, please.

@CGI_Livia_Soprano & @Potential-Monke - I am referring to you two in particular. You have been warned.

If posters cannot be civil with each other on this thread, I will close it.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Advertisement
Advertisement