Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing factory grease from new chain

Options
  • 02-11-2023 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

For a new Shimano chain, which has not been fitted, what is the best way of degreasing it?

I use 50:50 diluted No Nonsense degreaser for maintenance degreasing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think most people leave the factory grease on! bar wiping the exterior with a rag with maybe some WD40 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

According to the Squirt e-bike chain wax manufacturer, factory grease needs to be removed prior to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, if you're waxing your chain then you need to strip the grease off.

i'd take the chain off and sit it in a bath of petrol or white spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Can 50:50 diluted No Nonsense degreaser be used to remove the factory grease?

Or if using petrol/white spirits, how long to leave in the bath and does the chain need to be left to dry afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I use two baths in white spirits, then alcohol.

This process here:

https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The question is, are you waxing it though. If you are not, and just using regular lube, I'd leave it on, nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If waxing then I do an over night in white spirits followed by as many 1 min washes as it takes to get clear white spirits. Then followed by acetone. I filter the white spirits and acetone back into bottles using coffee filter papers so I can keep reusing it. I've found that it can take about 3 washes with a new chain but took me about 5 or 6 washes to a chain that had only done about 100-200km!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get some engine degreaser from your local motor factors. It'll strip grease and dirt off first time. About €30 for 5 litres and will last you years. It's so effective you need to keep it away from headsets, freehubs and hub bearings. Be sure to dispose of it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain. The chain and this lubricant need to be warmed during application.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact -- well, unless...see below.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!

The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

Interesting. The old advice was always as above. Is there something special about modern chains that needs the factory lube removed or is it just that lube manufacturers are trying to sell more bike lube products?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The grease like lube on new chains is the best as it’s applied before the chain is assembled. This means it’s on the parts of the chain that need it the most.

unless you intend applying wax, don’t remove it.

• Advertisement

the OP is trying to apply wax based lube which cannot be applied over oil based lube, hence the step of stripping all the factory lube off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's only for wax, the Shimano grease is absolutely fine but wax is better, if you use the Shimano grease you end up having a bigger first clean and a bit of wear. Does it really matter, all depends on what you are doing next. If your not using wax, leave the Shimano grease on. If you are using wax, do you want the wear benefits and an easier first clean or do you not mind a tougher first clean a few 100km later. Personally, you'd have to think options 1 or 2 are the only ones that make sense.

Advertisement