Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shogun - FX on Hulu

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

This explains it well. I would be surprised if we don't get a 2nd season although I feel like we have lost some of the more compelling characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

they should put season 2 in present day, a quasi remake of season 1 with the blood relatives of season 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

please just leave it there. They did a great job of adapting the book for TV. Just leave it be.

I was genuinely delighted overall with the show. Some of the deviations annoyed me a little, but I got over them quickly as they never changed the tone of the series.

Hiroyuki Sanada remains one of my favourite actors. If people haven’t seen it, please watch “The Twilight Samurai”. Wonderful film.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd agree with not doing a direct sequel, the Shogun story is finished. Be great to see Tai-pan and the rest of the Asian Saga done in the same detail though!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Based on you guys great reviews and response to this new version of Shogun, I decided to give it a go! Hooked straight away and watch the first three episodes and cant wait to watch more tonight. I love all the political intrigue amongst the five feuding councils and the Christian religions spreading into their lives particularly the RC church which is not shown in a good light (quite right too).

Thanks all for recommending it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The fish-out-of-water aspect is always an interesting trope, but the intrigue involved here had an additional element; the constant effect and fear of earthquakes. The political intrigue obviously involves psychological machinations of control of over others, with one culture casting the other as savages, but no-one can control the power of the earthquakes. Man's machinations are miniscule compared to the effect of their movements. That, and Toranaga's regular reference to the hawk's nature (and man's control over its nature for its own ends) made the whole thing very Shakespearean. With excellent production values, compelling tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are working on two more seasons.

‘Shogun’: FX Developing Two New Seasons With Estate of Original Author James Clavell

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Would not expect it to be very good. Light on the politics, heavy on cliche is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

zero interest with No Mariko 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

His accent is about the only thing I don't like so far. Something about it and the way he holds himself reminds me of Tom Hardy when he is trying to do one of his "hard man" characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

looks like Tom Hardy sounds like Boris Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Onto the second last episode, but am I the only one that has not a clue what's going on??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So, not to turn this in to the Anna Sawai show, but this is kinda cool

Advertisement