Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting new interior skim walls

• 03-11-2023 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hello, I need advice please on painting a skimmed wall, it's totally dried out. I've been to my paint shop and thay suggested a primer which costs over €100. I've googled and seen suggestions for watering down paint for the first coat also one by Screw fix called No Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster Paint. Now I'm totally confused, I'm not looking for a cheap way out but I don't want to be ripped off either, just wondering what worked for any of you out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Get yourself some Dulux "Cover matt" it can be bought in Woodies. Add about 10/15% water for the 1st coat. This will allow the paint to "soak" into the wall and give a good base for what ever paint finish you decide to go with.

I certainly wouldn't be buying €100 primers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Shoog

Watering emulsion down by about 10-20% should do absolutely fine. Follow instructions on tin.

It takes a lot longer to apply the base coat as it soaks up like crazy, but it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

As poster said above buy dulux total cover water down and paint away for 1st coat, think its 30/40 euro for 10ltr. I've kept open plan walls white, just take out paint give a quick roll over handprints smudge marks, you don't even need to do whole wall as there's no edgemarks to be seen great paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Getting a good quality roller sleeve will help with the spread of the base coat.

Something similar to below

https://www.lenehans.ie/prodec-9-long-pile-paint-roller.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEtahq13g0MFkMLogQ_NwT1e5cDK86WYwdDbjTACPjgeVlPC30xSWpxoCWb8QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thank you all so very much for the helpful advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement