Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from a diesel to petrol after 10 years

• 04-11-2023 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Have a 181 diesel Tiguan and never had any trouble, well looked after and full vw service etc. Mileage is creeping up and timing belt just done at 135k.

Our driving has changed due to change of jobs so the high mileage journeys are not the norm anymore. Journeys now are mostly local or within 30/40km with the odd longer trip.

Having the dreaded thoughts of diesel engine short runs and issues around dpfs etc, I'm considering petrol again. Electric doesn't appeal yet due to high costs and being rural.

We like the Tiguan but are considering going down to a t-roc. They have 2 petrol engines, 1.0 and 1.5 I think. The Tiguan is 2.0D 150bhp.

Would the change to petrol be a shock , running cost-wise, or given the lower mileage would it be similar ?

Should we maybe hold on for another year and see what develops with electric etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Everyone is looking at similar to yourself, it comes down to money, petrol will not be a shock but a straight petrol v a hybrid, I would try get a hybrid

an option would be get a GoCar which are mostly petrol, about 80 quid I think I paid last time, use it for a day or two and see how it goes in terms of economy for the driving you are doing. It might costs a couple of hundred quid at end of day but you will be spending thousands to swap up

even better would be garage to give you test car but I doubt they do that, Nissan used to do for an electric car but I don’t think anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The change to petrol won’t come as any shock. I’d imagine the smaller & lighter T-Roc petrol is similar on fuel as a Diesel Tiguan.

What will shock you is the downgrade in quality. A Tiguan is essentially a raised Golf whereas a T-Roc is a raised Polo.

Now that being said, if you upgrade to the newer 2022+ model it will alleviate the fact you’re moving down in class of car.

Its also worth noting that the Tiguan also comes as petrol and as a hybrid.

But if you like the car I would keep it. A DPF removal is only €400 if it has to come to that. Instead of spending thousands on a replacement car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The T-Roc is actually based on the Mk7 Golf platform. It's the T-Cross and Taigo that are based on the Polo platform.

Also you can no longer order most of the current Tiguan range anymore as it's being replaced by a new model in the new year, so you will be basically only getting what is in stock or in the country at this stage. And for me I'd want to be getting a brand new run out model at a very good price to be remotely tempted at this point. If your going T-Roc then the 1.5 TSi will be as close as possible it performance terms to your existing diesel Tiguan.

Have you looked outside the VW range? There are some good choices out there. Maybe have a look at the Cupra Formentor, basically built by Seat which is part of the VW group. They are smaller than a Tiguan but a bit bigger than a T-Roc and probably one of the more better looking crossovers out there. Styling and interior finish are ahead of the T-Roc too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

I've used a lot of hire cars since COVID and drove the cupra one recently. Thought it was awful.

I've had most of those crossovers and SUVs at some point and it's hard to beat the comfort and drive experience of the Tiguan. The troc is similar but smaller.

I might have a few test drives and see. I'm not sold on hybrids..

Thanks for the input. Plenty to digest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Spark Plug

Would you consider a Tucson Plug in Hybrid for the short journeys you could run on electric with the back up of the petrol for longer runs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement