Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for a first fix Nail gun

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never used the dewalt. I do have dewalt kit. But oddly enough decided to go for the milwakee nailer with 2 batteries. Watched numerous reviews and the milwaukee just seemed to come out on top for various reasons. It's now standalone item.

But tbh I tend to buy best kit for the given job rather than one brand. No single brand has the best items across its range.

E.g I have the ryobi finish nailer as its a little gem of a machine does it all and without the mad price competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Am considering pneumatic at this point as it will be all on the one site

look at delivery here:

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Alot of drawbacks to pneumatic though. Power needed. Dragging lines around moving compressor. Terrible for roof work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have a type one dewalt. probably drove 20 boxs of nails doing roofing and stud work. everyone i have met that has a dewalt complains about them . the type 2 are a disaster. type 3 are ok . type one are the best of a bad lot. they are terrible over all. when they work they are great but unfortunitly they are the most troublesome and tempermental joke i have ever owned. always jamming and needs fiddling with. you cannot oil them so you get feed issues. hitting a knot can bend the firing pin or break the springs.

i have sent mine in a few times costing 100s over the years. each time it lasts less and less time

i would give you mine only i dont hate you.

i would buy a paslode only i hate the noise and smell of the gas. you can easily fix a paslode and can get all the parts years later

i bought the hikoki. it seems good so far. plenty of power but it is heavy.

milwaukee is lighter but it cannot be seriveced if the gas chamber looses presure so that ruled it out for me

• Advertisement

I agree but its a one off project, single storey and I can live with the issues.

Saw a nice 8 bar 50 litre compressor yesterday which will fit in the car, I have a small silent one but its only a 9 litre tank so fine for cleaning out the bird cage and tyres etc.

The next puzzle is nails, round or D and diameter and availability.

Looked at this last night from German Amazon: comes with good reviews but shortage of nails

TPT

Hope you are keeping well.

Re

i would give you mine only i dont hate you.

always good to know on a dark Tuesday! LOL

Our friend in Thurles does not recommend Dewalt because of the no lube issue

Will call into him later today: got some tax back!

Only heard good things about Hikoki nailer. Similar weight to the milwakee. But it's meant to be great machine.

Saw it in the flesh today, as you said it reliable and can be oiled. However its proxy at 770 lids and its a new battery system so will look more at the pneumatic

The Hikoki is a 30 degree nailer, most of the others are 33 or 34

Anyway went with the HiKOKI

{Pronounced “hai-koh-key,” HiKOKI is derived from the English word “high” and the Japanese term “koki,” meaning 'industrial machines'." And it is to no surprise. HiKOKI tools are powerful, robust and up to the task.}

Problem when pneumatic was nail supply

The tool is on the heavy side but when she nails she nails!

deffinetly fires when it fires. no shortage of power. i have mine set down a bit so it doesnt over drive the nails. . the belt hook is hugh though. far to big. i have a diferent one ordered off a diferent gun. hopefully it will fit.

i have ran 2 boxs through mone with no problems exept once the nails were rusty and the magazine was very dry . a wipe down with oil insid and its perfect since.

• Advertisement

Knew you'd fold. That yolks more versatile than the pneumatic. Lovely machine. 😍

Love new tools !

Thanks TPT and LM

So now that I am in the "hai-koh-key" 18 Volt only cordless ecosystem, have you got anything else for me to spend money on.😂

Am contemplating a SDS plus drill as the chuck in my Hitli is fobar and no replacement chuck possible

They're angle grinders are smashing. I've only the corded model though. But so well built.

Thanks already have three, one makita corded one 18 V dewalt 115 mm and a B&D 9" from 1990's and for real work the 350 mm con saw😂

i dont know what else they sell . i have tried to ignore that for now. i have 2 batteries but thats not really enough for site work. 2 will easily do the day but then you have to charge up. an extra one would give me a lot better flexability. i know when i buy it i will buy a kit so i get a second charger and 2 bat . its the way it always starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Can't help with the recommendations but reminds me of this great scene from The Wire, worth watching.

So what POWDER ACTUATED tool would you recommend.

I am considering one. I had a Hilti DX before so it still looks like the go to weapon in this space

Did Safe Pass training recently for the first time where I learned that using such tools comes with a proviso re operators?

Lets see who knows what it is!

im interested in one myself. im sick of drilling steel for boxing stuff in or concrete for straps . i dont know much about them though

Yeah, its the straps is the issue for me, the one I had before was great, especially with the nails with the washers for holding on expanded metal or straps.

or both, with latter being 330 euros more than the singles which are 1100, all pre vat

The the consumables.

Will do some recon and revert

Had a good chat with them in Cork.

So entry level for the straps work we have in mind is this

About 450 plus vat

manual, single nail load, no power settings, you need different cartridges power is 245 J

One cartridge, plenty power settings, single nail, power 335 J so would do the steel piece

1099 plus vat

as above except has magazine for collated nails as well as the single nail kit head as well and maybe another extra piece.

1333 plus vat so the collated piece is 294 when bought as a pack or 378 if you buy it afterwards.

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

Advertisement