Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reversing into a car park space incident

Options
  • 05-11-2023 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

Hi, so earlier today I was driving into a filling station and went to park up at the parking area in a space, there was loads of open spaces and I drove up to reverse back into the space, as I was setting back another car tried to whip around the back of me to get past me as I was reversing and in doing so my a collision occurred.

who is at fault here?

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you have a front + rear dash cam? Ask the filling station to preserve any video recording they might have of the incident. You might need that footage to determine fault.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 david1411

Hi, no dash cam footage, I enquired with staff inside the filling station, the took a look at the footage but wouldn’t let me see due to GDPR and they see the other driver as wrong, they will hold the footage if needed, just trying to see what the general consensus is as I feel Im in the right as I was already in a reversing action into a space when he tried to pass behind.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you draw up a diagram of the road positioning and spaces and share it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you contact the moderators they will move this thread to the correct forum.

Insurance companies might be inclined to settle on a 50 : 50 fault basis as it's the path of least resistance and they have two drivers / policies to recoup their payout from.

I would make a report to the gardaí as they will be able to obtain the video footage to support a prosecution of the other driver. Get some legal advice to verify if you might also have committed any offense.

Don't be fobbed off with an 'It's a civil matter" excuse - if you are certain you are not at fault insist on reporting the incident and be willing to be a witness in court if the other driver is prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, careless driving or dangerous driving.

Make sure the filling station does not delete the recording before the gardaí or / and yourself have a copy.

I'd check out the GDPR excuse too. As you are in the footage you should be able to obtain a copy under a freedom of information request, anything that might identify the other driver e.g. number plate, face might have to be blurred out but you should be able to obtain a copy of video you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Overdehils

Business's can only provide CCTV footage to Gardai when requested. Just ask them to keep a copy & contact the nearest Garda Station.

It might be a data protection subject access request rather than a freedom of information request to try and get a copy of the video yourself.

The gardaí will be able to get a copy of the vide recording to investigate, if you report the collision. Just ensure it is not deleted before a copy is obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Yes, first report the accident, and formally request a copy of the recording. In writing.

If there is a lot of expense involved you might need to bring in a lawyer; which is expensive in itself - but if this were to come to court, and if you are absolutely certain the other person is in the wrong a lawyer might demonstrate how serious you are to the other party.

Advertisement