Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need housemate & landlord permission to store a shotgun in the house?

Options
  • 05-11-2023 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey All,

Had a recent falling out with my housemate who has now changed her mind about being okay with having a gun in my room out of spite. From a legality side of things, do I need her permission / the landlords permission to have the gun in my room?

I use it purely for clay shooting and brought it back just to clean it. It's stored in separate parts with trigger lock.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who’s name is on the lease?

I normally wouldn’t be worried about the house mate but if they gather support from the other house mates, they could collectively go against you to the LL.

As a LL, once it’s legal, then I don’t honk it’s any of my business what you keep in the house.

I would like to be consulted with regards to the safe location and how it’s fixed to the external wall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭scwazrh

You say it’s out of spite so I’d tread very carefully .All they have to say is they feel threatened by you having it there and then you’ll have a whole load of problems to deal with.Unfortunately we firearm holders tend to be on the back foot until we prove otherwise .If it was me I would avoid that fight , you say you only brought it back to clean it so bring it back to where you usually keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What's the housemates status in terms of lease. Are you sub-leasing from them or a landlord? Are you both equal tenants? If you are in anyway not their equal, either by not being on the lease or subleasing from them. Then it's most likely a case of their place, their rules.

As for the Landlord. I would assume they would be within their rights to remove permission for firearm storage. This would likely need to be included in the lease. However, installing a safe 100% requires landlord permission. I assume you are going he single shotgun securely stored route?

If you are both equal tenants, and not installing a safe, then you are likely ok to store a single shotgun securely in your room. However thread carefully as @scwazrh outlined, you'd want to avoid a situation where somebody can make a spurious claim that you made them feel threatened or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CG733

Equal in terms for lease. We rent directly off the landlord.

Taken the single shotgun securely in my room route.

Have arranged for me to take it back to the club to avoid any further arguments but just wanted to be sure legality wise there isn't anything there. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As a Landlord and someone who has seen these kinds of disputes turn nasty in a professional sense.

Do yourself a favour and MOVE THE GUN OUT of the equation, like yesterday.

As said previously all anyone needs to say is you threatened someone involved and b4 you know it the ERU is dropping in for a chat. It's a ludicrous situation that in these cases the Gardai take the gun[s] and leave a plethora of potentially lethal weapons that any domestic household has in its kitchen drawers and garage that have killed more people in domestic disputes than firearms in Ireland...Go figure. Not to mind the godawful hassle of having to convince the local Super&Co that this problem has been sorted and that you are not a threat, etc, etc. It also shows responsibility on your part as a gun owner that you removed a potential flashpoint item from the equation,esp if after you removed it ,your aggrieved GF or other claims you still have it in the house and summons AGS. You can hand them a receipt that it is in storage at a gun dealer or range.

As for the landlord side of things.Personally not arsed what you keep in the house[So long as it's legal and not in violation of the rental agreement.IE pets, waterbeds etc.] and so long as you repair the bolt holes before leaving the property. In some cases, if aGS know it is a rented property as they do in my case, they have occasionally contacted me to ask if am I okay with a tenant having a firearm on the property. Mileage may vary on this point.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement