Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting and shortcode SMS issues

Options
  • 05-11-2023 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

I've read a lot of threads on here about issues with being unable to receive SMS messages from shortcodes (such as 2FA codes) after porting from one network to another. Does anyone know if this also applies when porting to another MVNO on the same network? Such as Eir to GoMo, or Vodafone to Clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rhinosaurious

To be honest I don’t really think so! One of the networks I know that isn’t affected by this is the GoMo/eir networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Most issues being unable to receive shortcodes after porting is down to a routing issue. When you port, all of the networks should be able to see that your number is now attached to your new provider and to route everything there from now on.

Sometimes, that doesn't happen and some networks still think your number is with the old network, so texts from them won't arrive anymore.

This can happen just as easily going from Eir-GoMo, Vodafone-Clear, Three-48, as going Eir-Three.

However, it's not just texts - you can end up with a situation where people on certain networks (including landline providers) can't call you either, but you can call/text them fine.

It's something that can be manually resolved by your new network - the issue mostly is trying to get customer care for some networks to even acknowledge it's an issue in the first place.

However, a lot of the MVNO's - particular Virgin - seem to have general issues with shortcodes which occur whether you ported a number in or used the number provided with their SIM. Loads of threads on here in their now closed Talk To forum with people complaining for years and zero resolution.

Advertisement