Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo XC90

• 05-11-2023 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

My car has finally packed in. Could do with a jeep for an odd bit of towing but need seats for the kids.

I see a 06 xc-90 for handy enough money in a dealers yard. Small enough miles for the years. Could keep me going for a year or two.

anybody got any experience or know anything to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Road tax is around 1300 on those models I think , just so you don't get a stroke after you purchase 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Someone told me the x5 are a very well built jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I recommend Land Rover Discovery 3 or Range Rover. Great to pull and comfortable. I've driven them for years. Highly recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

1100 I think yeah but it’s taxed till June so that sweetens it.

I ‘m hoping that’s the reason it’s cheap.

looks like it was a 7 seater for the school run in south Dublin so shouldn’t have had a hard life (different story when I get my hands on it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Hmm

I'd beg to differ, they are a luxury machine. The one I had didn't have the 3.5T tow capacity, chewed rear tyres and although it could tow it never felt like it was comfortable doing it even under the limit (no stable at all)

It was also a bit of money pit if you had anything beyond a service to get done with it...it had a couple of link arms/ball joints that needed replacing one year and I couldn't do it...cost 1200 (due to the labour hours) as it being a total bolox to get at (like a lot of the luxury jeeps it's a rich man's toy with too many electrical fandangos and everything packed into too small a volume) - these things are designed for lads that have enough money to buy new as a tax write off and have everything done under warranty and then hand the problems onto the next lad.

Now as it turns out it wasn't bad value at all as I sold it for 2k more than I bought it after 4 years (but that's a once in a lifetime occurrence methinks due to lucky timing/brexit etc etc)....but it ain't really for farming imo

As another aside another lad I knew had one go on fire(total write off) and a guy with a 520d saloon (same 3litre diesel engine) was lucky his didn't go up in a car park (battery in boot, electrical short, caused a fire put out by plastic melting and starving it of oxygen).....apparently assessor joked BMW stands for burns mighty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

If the range rover is cheap and you don't intend holding it for long it will certainly pull/tow

I had a tdv8 at one point, absolute animal to tow but put aside a lot of money for yearly maintenance imo....again they are a luxury vehicle not a utilitarian farm jeep....they will cost a hell of a lot more in yearly maintenance to keep going

Air suspension, electric handbrake, egrs crammed into hard to get to tight spaces, **** sensors everywhere, never a time there isn't some warning light on a dash, an alternator buried where you can't see it never mind get to it (and destined to break due to all the electrics) and things like turbos being a body off job (with all the labour hours) and inconvenient wait times that come with that.

Maybe the disco 3 has less issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

My wife has had an 06 xc-90 as the family (four kids) car for roughly 6 years. Very reliable and very few issues - power steering pump died, Eur90 second hand and a hydraulic hose leaked. Currently almost 300k miles on it and I recently converted to a commercial vehicle to use as a run around with a tow bar. I use it to pull a small'ish plant trailer. I could not fault the XC90, yes, it is a bit thirsty, it does not handle like an X5 but it is gutsy enough and reliable for what I want.

We bought a 14 xc90 last year because there are very few vehicles to transport four teenage kids and two adults. I have been told the newer XC90's are not as reliable as the older ones. The cost of motor tax annually is a major stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Advertisement