Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth a DIY battery?

• 06-11-2023 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I've seen some prices for DIY batteries + the hassle for someone who is not an electrician so while you save money, you pay it with hassle. On the other side, an official battery is hassle-free and has a warranty but it is more expensive.

I was wondering if people here have experience and can tell if it is worth the hassle or I would be better off paying an installer.

So the question is:

Is it worth paying less for a DIY battery and assembling it yourself OR would you just pay an installer for an official (usually 5kwh) battery?

What is your experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

An installer will not install a DIY battery for a start so the cost starts doubling, as a compromise there is a lad on Done deal selling decent sized battery setups.

With generous FIT battery economics have changed somewhat but on the other hand each individual circumstances are relevant, e.g. use in case of regular black outs, peak shaving or even hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

The question was DIY battery or official battery. I clarified the question on the OP

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Depends on yourself really, it's never been easier to DIY a battery, they even come as kits now.

When the first of us were building batteries there was no kits, but sourcing all the parts was fairly easy.

My 40kwh cost under 5k, although only about 34kw useable.

How long did it take you? Are you an electrician, or do you have knowledge about it? I heard you buy the parts from Aliexpress, is that still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

Its totally up to you to evaluate. Do you understand what people talk about DIY batteries on forums like this one? Do you have an interest on electronics?

I think you must really have a DIY mentality and have a genuine interest on electric systems to be satisfied with a DIY battery. This is actually applicable to anything DIY related. You handle the issues/hassle yourself in exchange of not only much lower cost but also the satisfaction of doing something by yourself.

• Advertisement

Farmer 😂 can turn my hand to most things, but building batteries is straight forward.

First time took about half a day, but I was still figuring everything out and making all the balance leads.. (and double and triple checking them) sucked up a lot of time.

Now these kits, I'd dare say I'd be done in an hour, as long as I don't get distracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Where is OPs starting point? Have you big bills from big usage? Do you have PV or none at all? Have you tried using cheaper night rates first be shifting load to those cheaper times?

My experience is so far after 2 years with a official 5kwh battery and 6kw pv system... I am still fine NOT building a DIY. My annual usage is 50% at night from load shifting and winter months offset by pv export to grid (FIT payments) and so maybe 100euro a year out of my pocket. Gov grants have offset this as well.

Untill i start to see my costs go up... Cant justify the spend of a DIY or the work to build it. But never say never...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭staples7

Im looking at purchasing a few of those pylon tech batteries off that guy on done deal, would save 700-800 per battery vs going with my solar install company. Donegal guy will install them but it's a few hundred.

These aren't DIY but is there much to connecting them to the hybrid inverter? Id chance most things but don't want to be left high and dry scratching my head.

Also would be another 250 for the cabinet.

Also on a side note, do use batteries or have solar on the Agri side?

Sure it's up to me but what's your experience?

Do you have handy any tutorial or anything like that?

I have that exact setup, 6.3 kw without battery and Energia smart plan 2-6am 8cents. I got it done a couple of months ago so surely I won't benefit from the discounts made during the summer. Planning to buy an EV at some point, so the electricity use would go up.

While 5kwh may be sufficient, I was wondering if by doing DIY I could get a better run for the money. Now, that's why I'm asking this. I know it is up to me, of course, it is but what I want to know is what other people's challenges were and their starting point, are they electricians? Are they IT or any other job not related? Did they spend ages building it? Was it complicated? Would you do it again? Would you buy an official one instead and remove the hassle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's a few posters here with non-DIY batteries, in this case it is generally well worth your while selling your battery and going for a higher capacity DIY battery, this makes perfect economic sense as cash outlay greatly reduced and DIY skills improve

• Advertisement

That's where my panels are, sheds are super easy for panels. (House/yard have the same connection)

Roof space is not my limitation, although it's all NE/SW facing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭JayBee66

A related question...

I have an existing all-in-one hybrid inverter/battery for my PV. I am considering increasing the battery capacity from 5KW to 10KW. I could get an additional battery specifically for the aforementioned or go down the DIY route and have a separate "house battery" (i.e. oblivious to the PV) for the winter months. What would the second option entail? Another inverter? I don't think mixing batteries is allowable on my inverter. Would there need to be some sort of communication between the two inverters? The existing inverter can handle 5KW loads and then uses the grid to top up for larger loads. Could the second inverter step in to handle this, thus obviating the need for the grid, except for export and the usual hybrid grid/inverter handshaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

If you follow ESBN rules you'd need to move to NC7 as your combined inverter output would exceed 25A. On NC6 your supposed to have a max generation from all inverters totaling 25A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭JayBee66

Ah yes. I forgot that. Looks like an additional battery (and greater expense) for the existing inverter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK you can have a non grid tied setup that doesn't affect the ESBN regs but the likes of @graememk would know the process to do it and could advise you or else I'm totally wrong!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭on_the_roots

NC6/7 are only for inverters connected to the grid. Apart from this you can have as many inverters as you want.

Advertisement