Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Wallet over €50

• 06-11-2023 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭

Paying with my phone (Huawei P20) over €50 used to work grand

1. Tap
    2. Phone would get me to verify
    3. Tap again and it worked

Now though after I do number 2 the phone goes to the home screen and when I tap again, it doesn't do anything.

I have the ask the cashier to restart from their end. Once they do, I tap and it works.

Anyone else having this issue?

Tried Googling it but maybe I'm not using the right terms

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never do it that way, I always unlock my phone(Pixel 7 Pro) with the fingerprint sensor before paying for anything to avoid any hassle if it doesn't work. Even then, for some reason it occasionally doesn't work, and I have to ask the cashier to cancel and restart, no idea why.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Google Wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 samcr440!

Hi OP. I use Google Wallet all the time. I always unlock my phone first then tap. I have had no issues with paying over €50. Think the highest I tapped Google wallet for was €5800. Maybe try and reinstall or update the app. You should only need to tap once if the phone is unlocked. That's all I ever need to do anyways

Also make sure you're up to date with any Android system security updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭frash

ok so I uninstalled Google Wallet & made sure the Android system is up to date

I tried the approach recommended above

1. Unlock phone
    2. Open Google Wallet
    3. Display the card I want to pay with
    4. Tap (for €75)
    5. I was still prompted to prove it was me with the unlock code

Phone went to home screen and when I tapped again, it wouldn't work.

Once the cashier re-started it was fine

I'm paying with an AIB debit card if it makes any difference and up until about 2 weeks ago I didn't have to get the cashier to restart.

Is there anyway to disable #5? I can't see it.

That's strange. What method did you use to initially unlock the phone? On my Pixel 7 Pro face unlock isn't considered safe enough to authorize Google Wallet transactions, so I have to use fingerprint. I've never tried using the PIN to do it, but I assume that would be OK too.

• Advertisement

I use the pattern unlock

I used to use the fingerprint but when the phone started going back to the home screen after being asked for my fingerprint in Wallet I thought I'd try the pattern

So I use the pattern to unlock and also in step 5 above (seems pointless)

That's weird.

My phone is on Android 14 and PIN, pattern, swipe and password are all grouped as options for unlocking the phone from the lock screen only, so not for verification purposes. The only option for that is fingerprint (face unlock isn't available for that... yet).

Before I realized that face unlock wasn't allowed for verification, I used to get the situation you describe all the time. I'd get my phone out to pay, and the face unlock would kick in, and then the tap would be declined. It popped up the fingerprint scanner screen and suggested I try again, but it still required a reset by the cashier even after I'd verified with the fingerprint. So I'd have to lock the phone, hold it away from my face so it wouldn't see me, and use the fingerprint to unlock it. Very awkward, so I simply turned the face unlock off.

A bit of Googling suggests your phone might be on Android 10? I wonder if it's some new extra security requirement that's getting in the way? I can't think of anything else, sorry.

Been busy Googling here too & found this

It says what you said about Face unlock but also Smart Unlock (both of these are off on my phone so that's not it).

I'm on Android 12

Do you have another payment app installed like Huawei Pay? There's a setting under NFC settings to set a default app and to specify the behaviour if both are active.

The only other thing I can suggest is uninstalling and reinstalling Wallet and adding the card again.

Next time I'm paying I'll use the Revolut card & see if it's the same

Might be just some AIB thing

I have Huawei Pay but it's telling me to use Curve

Sounds messy but might consider it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've been having issues with ptsb card since I moved from AIB in January, same issue you've been describing. I might try disabling face unlock and see if the situation improves

OP here

I deleted face lock, fingerprints and left only PIN

I disabled any smart unlocks too.

Then I re-added a fingerprint

Now before paying I unlock with fingerprint, open wallet and then tap

Seems to always work now

Thanks for the tips here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My issue seems to have also been fixed by deleting face unlock (Oppo phone so 2D). Got asked once this week to try fingerprint again by the phone but no declined transaction. What's really annoying me is that it took me months to get the solution and I had contacted ptsb a few times, this should really be on an FAQ

Post edited by TheDriver on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You shouldn't have to open the wallet to effect payment. I've use a Huawei P30 Pro & to make a payment of over €50 I use my finger print to unlock the phone & tap.

Advertisement