Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband on OpenEir versus SIRO - Details and Providers

Options
  • 06-11-2023 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if this information is available in one of the "sticky" posts - couldn't track it down but I'm happy to be proven wrong 😀

I'm paying EUR60 per month for combined copper broadband / phone line with Sky so looking at getting fibre to futureproof, increase speed and (certainly in the short-term) reduce price. When I asked Sky about this, they confirmed that I can get fibre and shortly afterwards I got a letter in through the letterbox requiring completion of a "Blocked Duct Consent Form" from TLI / SIRO. It turns out that in order to run the necessary cabling, some reasonably significant digging of the tarmac in front of my house will need to be done. There was an extension put onto the house before I bought it, so the electricity meter cabinet was moved, I was told that may be a factor causing the blocked duct, although whether that is correct or not doesn't really matter. Anyway, it's a lot of upheaval and I decided against it.

I'm still eager to get fiber and from what I can see, OpenEir appears to be the only other option. It seems to be available to me based on checking a number of relevant website (switcher, OpenEir, Eir etc.) but I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some help with:

1: Will there be a reduced requirement for digging? My intuitive understanding of OpenEir is that it will use more of the Eir network itself (as opposed to electricity network) so perhaps there may be a reduced digging requirement but would like to get some input / thoughts on that. Some drilling into the house to run the actual cable may be required, I'm OK with that.

2: What retail broadband providers use OpenEir? When I click on the link on the OpenEir website, I get "Page Not Found". Obviously Eir themselves use it but their services tend to be pretty expensive.

3: Some research that I did (which could of course be wrong 😀) suggests that a number of retail providers (e.g. Vodafone) use both the OpenEir and the SIRO fibre networks. Depending on the answers to questions 1 and 2 above, is it possible to tell one of the retailers "I want to use your OpenEir option and not your SIRO option"?

Thanks all in advance for your help,

super_freddie.

Advertisement