Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injecting under the skin

Options
  • 06-11-2023 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Stupid question but I have only ever seen people doing this, not done myself.

When injecting under the skin using the pinch method, does the needle go in square to the skin you've pinched or down at an angle down to the centre of the "tent"?

See an example of what I mean below. Should it go straight in full depth of the needle like No.2 or down at an angle?

The problem with no.1 in my view is how do you know when you're down far enough without going too far? You have to do a judgement on where the end of the needle is. Worries with no.2 is if I put the needle all the way through to the other side.

Or am I overthinking it and that any kind of injection into the pinched area will be fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just get the needle under the skin. No need to go full depth of the needle. By going full depth you are in danger of going out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

If you bring injector down parallel to animal with skin pulled out it can only go under skin. Use a needle 1 inch or so and shouldn't have to worry about it. Hard to explain but I pull out skin in a double with a hollow ( made with index finger) in the middle into which I inject ( pinch with thumb and middle finger) HE and AA cattle much easier to pinch out skin but tougher to get needle in, opposite for LM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Pinch the skin with thumb and top 2 fingers on your on dominant hand. Inject downwards is the way I do it. Lots of it done with vaccines and doeses

It takes practice practice and every animal you do you get quicker. A short needle can be handy with smaller cattle and calves. keeping stock tight helps

Practice on 2 or 3 with nothing in the syringe can help to get the feel. Once you get 2-3 done you will get into the swing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just remember lean over the animal and inject on far side of there body. It saves getting kicked.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement

Nothing in the syringe just to get a feel of the needle. Another option is a saline solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

I hold the injector in dominant hand (right ) and pinch with left ( just the way you get used to )

Edit to say I hold the injector by the barrel until its in then you're free to press the plunger

Hard enough to inject far side as you might have to stand on bottom rail of crush, if you stand by animals head and inject facing back and inject behind shoulder shouldn't get kicked

Let him practice on himself and see how he likes it.

There is never a silly question. We all started somewhere and anything to help and it easier is worthwhile. Some of use were lucky to have family members to help use and build our skill set. Some are not so lucky.

• Advertisement

And someone who accuses a certain youtuber of being a shyster doesn't deserve any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Play the ball not the man. Argue the post not the poster,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

Is the skin hard to pierce through? Like do you know when you're through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

By pulling out the skin you'd be confident that you have a bit of scope without hitting muscle or ribs. I'd always inject just behind the shoulder as there's a bit of loose skin there. The odd time it might happen that you pierce the other side of the skin that you're tenting up, and the liquid lodged in between the layers of skin. This will probably form a lump but no real harm done.

It's like piercing an orange, push and you have a bit of resistance, then it will all go, once you have the got under the skin. Fresians and calves have very light skin so they are very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

And very important is to have quality syringe and needle. Makes job so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I have a number of good quality needles so once it gets hard to pierce i change needle. Skin is easy to pierce but also depends on the breed too. I have a good few different lengths and gauges. Easier to have the options available for the different stock.

You are guaranteed to pierce straight through at some point as cows/calves move just mind that you don't pierce yourself (i've done it a few times at this stage). Once you start doing it, you'll find it fairly easy to get the nack of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whenever the vet is out ask them any questions you have as well, they'll be more than willing to share techniques etc.

If vaccinating or injecting a group its worth getting the applicators/ gun that will auto refill from the bottle, would make things easier and cleaner. Spare needles are important as well. With the applicator once you get the hang of it you would be able to go under the skin without pinching, just going in at an angle. The needles for for some doses needed to be thicker as well as the liquid can be more viscous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Herxules

Are those guns only good for same dosage or are they just as good if you have the change the dosage based on weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The angle and how you inject depends on the type of injection. Some substances only work in the correct method.

The below graphic is a basic overview (not to scale). It's based on humans, but principle is the same. IM and SC are the most common type, important to know which you need to use. FYI under the skin is subcutaneous, pinch and inject at 45 deg.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

When injecting "behind the shoulder", go well behind it. More centre of the ribs. Going too close to the leg and injecting under the shoulder blade can cause problems if dirt is introduced. The movement of the limb spreads the infection widely under the shoulder blade. The same problem in the centre of ribs will just cause a lump.

One trick once the needle is in, is to use the syringe to push the fold of skin forward. This means you deposit the solution further away from the resting place of the hole, reducing the risk of leakage.

With a thick needle, cover the hole with your finger while you rub in the solution. Prevents leakage through a big hole.

I use an 18 gauge needle for most things (antibiotics usually) and a 16 gauge for thicker things (doses).

A 14 gauge for Calcium.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Most of the vaccine ones are either 2 or 5 ml I think, the one that comes with the dose for the cows can be adjusted but again its a small dose. Anything bigger such as antibiotics etc would generally use a syringe

Advertisement