Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Roof - damp ceiling edges on the non drip lining

Options
  • 06-11-2023 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have a well ventilated shed however the non drip lining towards the walls are wet in patches. Below is a crude side on view of it. Its becoming so damp that its dripping inside. I've recently used an angle grinder on the roof edge to make it sharper to stop water from pooling at the bottom (there was a slight lip). The water is not coming through the self tapping screws.

I was thinking of installing DPC underneath by: lifting the roof off and have it taped onto the non drip lining about a foot up (which is higher than the current dampness area) and having it come down almost as much as the leaf guard.

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Are you sure the non drip has been burned back an adequate distance? It’s not clear on your photos. My builder burned off the last 4” of the coating to ensure that the capillary action wouldn’t occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

That’s your problem so.

Hope they aren’t 25’ long sheets 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Don't know that but I know roofers put it on both ends at the start , stops it going damp and black looking

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Check the measurement of the burnback overhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Overhang approx 50mm

-

Inside view approx 100mm

-

Height: 40mm

The non drip is right to the edge. Perhaps this is the missing part. I will look into taking the sheets off and burning the last 4" off.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

That stuff pulls in the dampness, brush on a varnish to the ends to stop it travelling in

That would be a heck of a lot easier than taking them off and blow torching them. Do you reckon I could just paint the underside ends?

• Advertisement

I opted to do it right and took the roof off and started scoring it with a blade then peeling it off slowly. Followed by a blow torch to finish it off. I've half done today - big job. Hopefully it works out. I will for sure update here and thank ye all.

Half the shed was done yesterday. After a wet night it seems that the non drip surface is dry inside. This almost fully confirms that the capillary action did not occur.

Thanks cjpm for your advice. I will confirm fully after we've had a wet and windy night.

I did the other half on the weekend and I'm very pleased with the results. A mammoth task but defiantly worth the effort. Thanks very much to everyone who helped especially cjpm. A dry shed makes a happy man :D

Advertisement