Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to integrate NBI Fibre Voip with internal PSTN wiring?

Options
  • 06-11-2023 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I'm getting my Fibre installed later this month as my NBI DA recently went live. I am going with Vodafone and have opted to keep my landline, however the copper PSTN will be decommissioned in the process and my "landline" will become a Voip service fed out of the back of the Vodafone modem.

In the house I have two telephone RJ11 points both were installed by Eir back in the 1990's. In the home office where the NBI ONT and Vodafone Modem will be going will not be an issue since I can just plug the landline phone out of the EIR Master socket and straight into the adjacent modem.

However in the other side of the house is a secondary landline phone plugged into an extension EIR RJ11 socket which feeds back to the Eir master socket. Ideally I want my new Voip dialtone out of the Vodafone modem feeding over to that also.

Its not a major issue but I am going installing some new troughing conduits and upgrading the internal network cables to CAT6 next week ahead of the Fibre install and I'm going to upgrade from an ancient 10yrs+ Tp-link router to a Ubiqutit Unifi dish like access point to redistribute the Fibre to the other side of the house also. So ideally I'd like to have everything ready and set for plug and play as soon as the ONT and Fibre gets installed. I even booked a days holidays for the installation and if I'm honest I''m like a child awaiting Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my brother's house they went from landline phone/broadband with extension phone socket to Starlink/VoIP with ATA earlier this year.

ATA required with the Starlink router as there's no analogue phone socket on the router.

To feed the extension socket we disconnected the incoming copper line from the master socket, then using a regular RG11 phone cable connected the phone socket on the ATA to the master socket's RG11 phone connection. This feeds the extension socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

I was in the exact same situation as yourself back in July when my Eir fibre was installed and I bought this from Amazon. The base station plugs into the fibre box which has built-in ATA and the others connect via wi-fi. It works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09GRN9T9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P.S. I see it's now €68.When I bought it it cost €50 but then again Black Friday is close!

Advertisement