Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson 2025 : The next president of Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no, you have changed it to reflect your opinion.

But mine was in half jest.

But still given the quality of candidate in recent elections, I could well see a sober Bertie get the vote.

He has what the modern politician doesn't, an actual personality.

And as we all know Presidential elections are just popularity contests.

Will enough time have passed so people forget the skullduggery? God knows.

Maybe MM will want a crack.

People have seemed to forgot his part in all that.

Will enough time have passed so people forget the skullduggery? God knows.

It wouldn't take much to remind people

For anyone 30 or older, they will still remember, for anyone under 30 he's a nobody as he took cover for the last decade and has barely been heard from

Maybe.

His comeback tour has been happening for a few years now and it's rather pronounced.

Depends who he runs against I suppose.

David Cameron is back, that's a plot twist no one saw coming.

ah would you give your head a shake? President of the country is not just working in dunnes stores where you can get away with pissing off a bit early.

“Ah lads lay off Mary who hasn’t left ahead of their notice”

If you think the OP is behaving nefariously, report it don’t speculate on thread.

• Advertisement

I’m 28 and I wouldn’t elect him to run a fcuking bath!

It wasn’t just forgotten about because he’s gone hiding for a few years. What he did was the talk of the country and the butt of several jokes for months if not years after!

You can’t get away with anything anymore. He might try and whitewash his image but if he genuinely makes an attempt to run for president or anything with even the tiniest bit of responsibility all of the things he was done in for previously will be brought out again.

Bertie is finished and he won’t be coming back no matter how much he wants to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone above called her 'odious'. there are a lot of people of a certain age who will laud her for her attempts to drag this country into the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

It's a seven year term for goodness sake, a couple of weeks is negligible. If anything the fact that she called it out honestly rather than doing the juggling act others do speaks to her integrity. Who the heck even notices if higgins wakes up each day, apart from his giant hairy dogs, who are well trained to put up with his "poetry" without complaint.

This thread is just the usual boring woman-bashing. "We have enough "Mary's" ... could ye be any more unoriginal.

Irish President is beneath her abilities. Roll out the next relic in line to be the state puppet-on-a-stick.

I’m 28 and I wouldn’t elect him to run a fcuking bath!

Yeah, but that is the age bracket that would be less likely to vote in a presidential election.

The last turnout was just below 44% percent.

Bertie is finished and he won’t be coming back no matter how much he wants to.

Maybe, but back then I never though MM would go on to lead the country nor did I think the likes of Cameron would back. Strange things happen.

Like I said, if it is another rag taggle of candidates like the previous 2 I think it is at least possible he could get the required amount of votes.

He might not even run, will depend on whether MM would relocate to the park I suppose.

I imagine Enda may be dusted off to give a FG a chance.

Although voting between him and Bertie would certainly be a choice,

The only place Bertie is president is inside his own head.

Other than that perhaps some sort of fan club, but I don’t think he has the skills necessary to organise one and god knows he’d make himself vice president.

• Advertisement

At 12-1 it's probably worth a cheeky fiver.

The reality is whoever it is very few will actually care.

You’re better off tossing it into a wishing well at least you could argue that wouldn’t be a complete waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

Bertie at 12 - 1 is a great bet, especially if his main opponent is Grizzly Adams. FF mightn't be keen to support him and he might have to go the Co Co route if they don't. I'd see FF putting Miriam O'Callaghan forward before MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

There's only one person for the job.

Fr Dick Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think it would have been possible for her to hold down those two jobs at once.

I remember her saying that her early departure was one of the regrets of her presidency - so even she acknowledges it was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I believe that elevating the people in high profile roles to a status other than ‘someone carrying out the tasks and responsibilities of that role’ is not a good idea.

The President could die tomorrow (which has happened). There are plans and contingencies for these scenarios. Is it ideal when someone leaves certain roles? No, of course not. But if someone wants to leave a role, Chief Justice, Junior minister, deli worker, anything, let them leave. Who should have the power to make them stay? Who deserves that power over another?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Her next birthday she’s 80. So finishing her term she’d be 87/88 give or take.

that also should be a consideration...

unfortunately there are no guarantees health wise or wellbeing wise for anyone heading into their 80’s but late 80’s….. getting around, attending the various functions, the schedule is in a way busy enough…. So…

the two weeks thing btw isn’t negligible. It’s disrespectful, behind the scenes cunning, skullduggery and dishonesty…. Job hunting, or being in negotiations for another job while you are actively head of state of a country…. Then feckîng off early when you are successful? No. Sorry…. Unacceptable and devious. At the very least … “ I want the job, I’ll accept the offer on the proviso that I stay to finish the presidency, otherwise I’m not coming, sorry.” That wouldn’t have been altogether acceptable but it would have been a lot more respectful.

but the country and its citizens was given neither consideration or olive branch of respect…. “ I’m off, got a better job I can’t wait to start, get yourself another president, that’s all there is too it “

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, tbh I think what she did in the 70s and 80s in the Oireachtas and in the courts is far more worthwhile than anything she did as President especially given the very restricted nature of the office.

Also it's great that William Binchy is still knocking around (saw he made a submission against assisted dying the other day) he's lived to see everything he stood for destroyed. Robinson just completely owned him in that video, everything she predicted was proven right.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If it was the other way around, the bould “Big Bird” wouldn’t give you the steam off her p%#s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

That’s a diatribe and a half. Skullduggery? Odd language and what a trivial thing to be wrapped up in a knot about. That aras is not a convent, nor is having that job a vocation. Are you knocking chunks off Higgins for doing his other gig on the side? Writing and reading out poetry and all the rest? why not? He seems to spend far more time doing that than she would have across her term, yet somehow one is abhorrent and the other you turn a complete blind eye?

She had interests outside her primary commitment … interests which, by the way, have furthered human rights on this planet more than any of us.

You don’t even perceive it as a flaw in a man, but in a woman it’s somehow intolerable to you that she a life outside the role. Double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Diatribe :) hardly... simple facts my friend... I was not saying anything about Higgins..this thread isn't about him... but as you mentioned him... has he ever sought to let down the people of Ireland by reneging on any agreement he made to the Irish people ? Did he ever disrespect the office of president ? Hardly... Mary on the other hand... " got a nicer offer, can't stick around im off " like she was working for Lidl....

I wouldn't be his greatest advocater but you can't say he did anything to disrespect the office of president or the people of Ireland.... Mary on the other hand...

You are elected for 7 years you see out the term unless health or family circumstances determine you can't...

You don't 'choose' to say adios because you want a different job... sorry.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Considering the presidency has a pension for life , it should always go to the oldest codger on the ballot

In the case of a Mary Robinson win , i assume her current presidential pension would be paused as she receives her substantial salary - does her term , then goes back to her pension ..

And considering her age shes by far the "cheapest " option - and its largely a figure head role ...

So anyone old ( except Bertie )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Micheal D Higgins can read what he likes provided he’s speaking, but, besides that, he might engage in activities outside work, no one’s saying that’s wrong?

It’s also a laughable deflection to mask the disgrace of leaving public office (as President!!) before your term ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Disgrace my... rear end.

Is a monarch who abdicates a disgrace? Outside of the UK it's common enough.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

She didnt leave in disgrace,

She didnt leave at a particularly crucial time ,

Her leaving didnt trigger any constitutional or political crisis ,

I'd put it that the only thing her leaving did was bring forward a presidential election

She'd done what SHE could do as irish President, and moved on,before she really rubbed someone up the wrong way , she had a quite abrasive personality at times, probably bored as hell of her smile and wave posistion,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement