Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Thermal spotter for around 2000 euro??

• 07-11-2023 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey all.

I'm looking around at Thermal spotters and my budget is around the Infiray E3MAX EYE 111 or I see a EH35. Both around 2000 euro.

First of all how good are these spotters? I have never used a Thermal spotter so i don't know much about them. Also is there much difference between these 2 models.

And if anyone has suggestions for a different make of spotter around the same price range let me know please.

Serious wedge to spend so I want to get it right first time and get best value for the budget.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I bought a hik micro falcon fh35 recently and it's a great spotter for the money.

The new hik micro condor is also worth a look. It's basically the same spotter with a built in rangefinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Tikka391

Thanks for that info👍👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭keith s

In terms of what makes something a good unit, the ability to detect differences in temperature is something I looked for. This is generally measured by the "NETD" (Noise Equivalent Temperature Difference) which uses "MK" (milli Kelvin) units. The lower the MK value the more it can detect smaller changes in temperature (lower mk = better).

Depending on where you plan to use the unit (large open feilds or in a tight forest) pay attention to the minimum magnification. On my unit it starts at 3.5,which is great for open feilds, but too zoomed in, in forestry (still usable but 1.5 or 2 would be a lot better for this environment).

Thermal is a fast pasted technology, so it can be hard to keep up with the latest and greatest units. But when I was looking to get one I looked at features I (range finder, was a must for example).

When you do buy one, a few months later something better will come out. I think it is Hikmicro who have a blended NV and thermal + range finder unit (very nice!).

To try help you out with a decision, make a list of must have + nice to have based on your budget:

NETD /mk vaule: The lower the better.

Min Zoom: Depends where you will most use the unit.

Features: Range finder, WiFi, NV.

Also, removable batterys are (in my opinion), better than a built in one, because you can carry spares instead of having to plug the unit in.

Hope this helps.

That certainly helps thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

I'd recommend one of the Axion 2 range with an LRF if you can stretch your budget a little. If not new then a good used model.

They are light and compact, perfect on a lanyard or in your pocket.

Speaking from experience of using 2 of them 👍

Pv

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddy, I'll definitely look into that one, I never even thought about the lrf.

Yea I see that alright, but to be honest if im going to spend the likes of 2½or3 grand id just buy new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭LONG DRAG

Pulsar Merger XQ35, if you can put the shillings together, you never look back.

That would be some stretch 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Also if you buy one with an internal, rechargeable battery it means you have to take the gun with scope out of the safe and leave it somewhere in a room near a socket when charging.....which may not be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭RD88

I can vouch for the pulsar xq35 pro meself bought one 6 months ago have been delighted ever since the best 1950 I've spent this long time. I went for it because of the sub 25mk sensor works in heavy fog too alot better than I expected it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Squint.89

Has anyone bought of these sites? Any issues with postage etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have purchased from both.

No issues with postage. Naturwerk is in Germany and JVS is in Holland, so no issues with customs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Squint.89

Thank you

Advertisement