Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Beef Value Stars - displayed in marts

• 07-11-2023 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭

I was just watching Ennis Mart there on-line and I noticed this for the first time - "Commercial Beef Value" with star rating displayed for suckler weanling bulls. These were genomically tested too.

Looks like this is the future folks. It will tie in well with carbon footprint measuring too.

How does this value differ from the Terminal Value?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pre Terminal and Maternal values we had Suckler Beef Valve, I wonder is this similar only renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

You have 3 different scales or ranges Dairy, Dairy x Beef and Beef x Beef. To get a CBV on the board you have to be in the ICBF, my herd is and in Herdplus prob if you are in SCEP herd is in it too. The animal must also be genotyped, why they are pushing the National Geootyping programme. Essentially it shows how well the calf should perform compared to its peers ie how quickly fatten and killout. So that LM calf is only a 3 star in CBV Suckler but across all breeds would be a 5 star terminal. Another bloody stick to beat the suckler farmer. If there was any sense the Dairy beef heifers that are all 5 str replacement would be 3 star animals on replacement, as not comparing like to like on that scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

meant to to say and I am in Herdplus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I work in data science and stats at the off-farm job. Playing around with spreadsheets and databases is grand and helps researchers like me look busy. It also helps our managers pass the time.

But the connection to the real world is limited and the usefulness of moving around figures is very limited.

That's ever before you get to the credibility of the figures all these calculations are built on. I don't think fellas make them up, but most just don't accurately record them in the first place - why would you when it's just another job that you'll get nothing out of.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement