Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing integrated fridge

Options
  • 08-11-2023 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

We're looking to replace our integrated fridge/freezer and it feels like the integrated aspect is very restrictive on our options. Obviously whatever we look at would have to match the dimensions and door heights to a tee, and who knows if the hinges would even sync up.

Has anyone ever managed to replace theirs and get a perfect match or will we have to just remove the doors and have the fridge not hidden behind the original doors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

We had to travel to Dalzell's shop in Markethill Co. Armagh to replace our integrated fridge. Our kitchen manufacturer fitted the door for us after the new fridge was installed. Dalzell's did have a big range of such products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

All you should need is the same ratio, e.g. 50/50 or 70/30

The hinges don't need to sync up. They stay fixed to the kitchen carcass. There are plastic fittings that fit to the outside of the fridge door and the inside of the original doors. These will be supplied with the fridge.

Generally the fridge freezer is height adjustable to line up with the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cheers. The fridge stayed with the house when we bought it, so we don't know who did the fitting of the kitchen or who supplied the fridge to know who to go back to, so was worried this would be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

It can be a bit fiddly alright, especially if you need to drill the fridge door. I think there can also be issues if the kitchen is from IKEA, with appliance depths, but not 100% on this.

Maybe stick up a post on the DIY forum, some great advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm looking to change an integrated fridge also. Would like to get 100% fridge and a chest freezer for the garage. Shop told me I could only get a full length integrated fridge if the existing fridge is full length or 50/50. He said 70/30 etc. wouldn't work.

I thought I was set as mine is 50/50. Went home, double-checked and it's approx 35/37in. Haven't been back in with the shop yet, anyone know if those measurements would count as 50/50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We replaced our 70/30 fridge freezer with a new one from power city, very hard to get a decent one and we had to settle for a non frost free in the end, the press doors are easy enough to swap onto the new one and there is a fair bit of adjustment if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

3 drawer 70/30, 4 drawer 50/50 in the freezer section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you want to do with a replacement, if you currently have an integrated two door unit and you want to replace with a single door intg larder just strap the wooden doors on the inside so that they open as one when attached to the single door. Just be careful with the length of screws you use that they don’t go through the wooden doors

Yeah, want to replace integrated 50/50 fridge/freezer with full length fridge only, no freezer. I wouldn't be putting in; n myself, will get the shop to do it.

Salesman in shop said that I could only get a full length fridge if I had a full length already or a 50/50. He said any other percentage wouldn't work. I have no idea why. I didn't ask, wasn't buying that day, just having a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

There are two types of integrated units. One where the door is fixed to the fridge and one where the door is hung to the cupboard and then attached to fridge. 2nd one most common.

You could just take doors off unit and put in freestanding unit. Measure first 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shouldn't be a problem to replace a 50/50 with a full-length fridge. A couple of things to check:

- What are the internal dimensions of the cabinet (height, width and depth).

> Integrated fridges will give you the installation size ranges in their manuals available online. There's usually a few mil tolerance that are covered by adjustable feet, trim etc.

- is the door hinged to the cabinet, or mounted on the fridge itself

> if it's the latter, you could join the doors together before mounting them to the fridge, and then they would open as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Sorry to piggyback but have just replaced an integrated myself and had the doors replaced as we moved to a 70/30 from 50/50. The fridge doors won't close by themselves after a light push, we now need to push all in fully ourselves to close. Anyone have any idea what might be happening here?

Beverly Hills, California

Advertisement