Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honest2Goodness Market Slaney Close Glasnevin Closing !

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _my0pia_

It’s open from 9-3 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

Apparently a compromise has been found, they're about to announce it on their social (FB: glasnevinfoodmarket).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

DCC dont do a whole lot in large parts of north inner city Dublin from what I can see.

How many years it's taking them to get the Smithfield market back in action for instance.

As for that market in Glasnevin there are other units in the estate they should try to rent one or two.

I think many don't even go into the office. ;)

The old fruit and veg market was also known as Smithfield fruit and veg market..hint...it's in Smithfield. Smithfield is a very historic part of Dublin no need to try and hide where it is and try to say it's an extension of Capel St lol. Also the horse market while it was pretty wild, at least there was a large sized square there back in the day. Now the square is completely chopped up , seems to have shrunken and not very useful for civic activities. I'm very much in two minds on what they did there.

The city North and South BADLY need Smithfield and Iveagh market to open up , what a fecking joke how DCC have handled this that both are still not operating and we are going into 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 PatrickRuns

Couldn't agree more, let's use buildings that were designed for markets for ... markets, and stop trying to move around community life and initiatives, away from where it's mostly needed.

We also hear that all these industrial estates are going to be redevelopped into housing, which limits the interest of landlords renting out their available units.

Dublin needs housing yeah for sure, but it needs communities first and foremost. Farmer's markets should be a top priority for DCC, and 100% included in their housing development plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I heard last week that it was close, but any meetings between stallholders and others just ended up with people "shouting and aggressive". I'd heard that it was actually solicitors for both parties that had come to the solution but hadn't officially passed it on to the interested parties just yet, still some ironing out to be done.

It's seemingly a one year extension, so I'd expect they'll still be searching for a new venue - which, incidentally, I'd also heard they may have found close to the current venue, in the same industrial estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Looks like the people who are, ultimately, the owners of the lease on the building itself, are opening a shop at 48 Botanic Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Wine shop also doing sit-in by the glass and nibbles.

Advertisement