Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Responsibility for fixing faulty new Triton shower

Options
  • 08-11-2023 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone - I bought a new Triton Novel SR shower from Brooks 3 months ago and had it installed by my plumber, who was doing other bathroom-related work for me at the time. We've hardly used it since (we go to the gym a lot and shower there mostly) but it has now developed a problem. The temperature dial is stuck - as in, I can only move it by about a centimetre in either direction, even while pressing the button on it - and despite the fact it's stuck on cold, the water coming out is scalding - way too hot to shower in. My question is: who is responsible for, or who do I approach about, fixing it? According to my statutory rights, my contract is with the seller (Brooks) so they have to resolve the problem. But surely all they can do is either offer a refund or give me a new shower - either way, I'll have to pay to have the faulty one removed and the replacement installed. Not what I want. If I go to my plumber first, he'll charge me to fix it, unless I can prove (very unlikely) it was his fault for not installing it properly in the first place. What would people advise? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you know what the issue is?

As in, what is the root cause of why the dial won't turn? Until you do, there's not much point in talking about responsibility for fixing it.

Did it work correctly after install and then stop, or was this issue likely there all along but only recently noticed?

It could be that when it was installed a screw or something wasn't secured correctly and this prevented the dial from turning. Not saying it is that but it would be unusual for a dial to fail in this way imo.

If you think the plumber is capable of debugging it correctly I'd ask him to take a look, 90% of the time if they recognize it was an install issue, they wouldn't charge for fixing it or maybe something small to cover the call out if it was debatable. If you think it's better an electrician would look at it, then the cost would be on you for the debug (single call out charge probably 60-100 depending on location and time spent).

If it turns out that technically it wasn't installed correctly, you could go back to the plumber for the cost but personally I wouldn't bother. If you do, you could possibly scratch that plumber from your contact list which you might regret later if needing one in a hurry, but this is completely a personal view rather than a by the letter of the law thing. Might be worth telling them about the issue and they could give you a discount on future work or something.

If the device ultimately was faulty and shouldn't have been sold, then you may be in a position to go the legal route with Brooks but personally I don't think you are at that point yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

I had a problem with a Triton shower about 6 months after installation. I didn't have a receipt to show when it was purchased (my bathroom installer did all the shopping and kept no receipts!).

I contacted these people

They were able to confirm the age of the shower from a reference number and arranged for a service engineer visit. He sorted the issue for me at no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

That’s the only issue with you supplying the parts. Next time, in a similar situation, just let the tradesman get them himself. Then you’re covered for labour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Have the Triton novel Sr shower installed in my parents house.

Due to the age of the house ( built in 1968 ) and the wiring apparent this was the only shower I could have installed.

W

Installed may 2022.

Working fine since then no issue

There's a small sticker on it "for service call XXXXXX, XXXXX town , phone 999999"

I imagine when they answer the phone and find out my details they think

" $hit, it's another Triton ov Sr shower"

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

If Brooks got the Triton Novel shower through the Irish reps (a company called Earthridge), it'll work as follows: You will be charged €90-ish for a service engineer to come out and assess the shower. If it's a faulty shower, your callout charge will be waived and they will repair or replace the shower. If it's an installation error, you will be on the hook for any repairs. The Novel model should be covered by a two-year guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you are replacing it like for like it is really easy to remove and replace yourself as all wires and pipes are in the same place. Will be a matter of removing a few screws and a nut. Turn off power and water before hand. Just remove the unit an bring it back to brooks for an exchange under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TiWe33

Thanks so much to everyone for your very helpful advice. In answer to Tell Me How, I don't know what the issue is other than the dial is stuck. It did work correctly at first, but then I was away for a month with work and my partner said he hadn't used it in the meantime. Since posting originally, I contacted my plumber and, as expected, he said it wasn't anything he did and he didn't offer to come and take a look, to be certain, and I can't force him to. GiPi and Revelino 70 - yes, I did get a leaflet in the box with the Earthridge details on it, so I think my next step is to contact them. I wasn't sure who they were in the grand scheme of things, i.e whether Triton officially outsources this kind of thing to them, but it seems that is the case, so I'll give them a shout. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 revelino70

If you're going to contact Earthridge, definitely do not remove the shower from the wall. This will invalidate the warranty and you'll be left footing the bill.

Advertisement