Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

driving test....couple items of confusion a) yellow box b) beckoning others

• 08-11-2023 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

lining up for a test shortly, specifically its for C licence

a) one of the routes has a tricky yellow box. it controls a T section on a main street. I'll be approaching it on the minor road and will likely be asked to turn left onto that main st. the traffic coming from my right is freeflowing across and on the other side of the box theres a set of lights. regardless...I was always taught that the yellow box is there to facilitate me getting onto the major rd for a RIGHT turn. I can go in there and stop and wait to progress/join the flow. but as regards facilitating me in joining the major road when turning LEFT has always been a bit of a mystery for me from a technical standpoint. Will I be marked down for going in, stopping and joining the flow? I've had different opinions on it. attached a diagram hope it helps you see what I'm getting at here.

b) beckoning others. in my experience it's needed sometimes to come to a conclusion in a tight manoeuvre BUT I've read now a couple of times that it's frowned upon for the driver of a C or D to do it. True/False

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 renalf

Afraid I can't speak for the first question as to be honest I also have no idea, but after not too long ago passing a D test, I was taught that we should not beckon people but rather sit tight until the space you need comes about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Turning left you have to wait until there's a gap in the traffic.

Usually I'd say "hug the curb" for left hand turns so you're ready to merge fairly quickly once safe. However the fact it's a yellow box I'd be wary as you might end up in a position where a driver squeezed through the junction so their arse is now blocking your exit point if that makes sense.

Beckoning others absolutely not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Do not beckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Don't enter the yellow box unless you can clear it without stopping. The only exception is if you're turning right (and won't block other traffic).

Don't beckon. If you have right of way, take it (while being aware of other traffic of course). If you don't, give way. Do not try to give way to other drivers that don't have right of way, it slows everything down and increases the likelihood of a mistake

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

thanks all, have it clear now on both items

that junction can be busy and the turn itself is tightish can be kerbed rearend unless I nail the solid white at my stop box

meanwhile the flow there is multicoloured...lads coming from the right on that main st are sometimes flying it out of the town and looking to beat those lights, meantime if u look at the pic again theres actually a filter coming inbound against me too and at times there'll be someone just passed thru the lights approaching the main street who'll fly into that very filter lane space that I'm hoping to borrow to get my turn in.

usually I'll take my sweet time and have the gap eventually but it can be hard there and I don't want to get done for progress either

• Advertisement
Advertisement